Pegasus No. 8 - Free to a good home

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
RSB

Pegasus No. 8 - Free to a good home

Post by RSB »

This boat has been part of my family since the mid 60's. I learned to sail in her before moving on to other classes. Sailed regularly by my father until around 10 years ago. Since then it has been stored - indoors for the last 5 years.
All wood, with a small amount of rot around the hog - just at one isolated spot as far as I can see. She is definitely not a wreck.

The wooden mast has gone, replaced by alloy one (salvaged from a Fireball, I think).
Original Jeckels sails, including genoa.
Alloy rudder stock.
Useable but tatty trolley & road trailer.

I may even be able to locate some original bits and pieces such as the mast jack - a horrible piece of kit, but possibly of interest to anyone keen on authenticity.

Since my father passed away the boat is simply taking up too much space in the garage. I have toyed with the idea of refurbishing her myself, but have at last come to the concusion that it isn't going to happen.

So, if there is anyone out there who appreciates what a great boat the Pegasus is, and would like to take on a genuine early example, please get in touch.

She is located in Chester, but I live elsewhere, so would need some notice for a viewing.

I really don't want to scrap this boat, but will have to if I can't find a home for her.
jon711

Re: Pegasus No. 8 - Free to a good home

Post by jon711 »

I am really interstesed. My parnets live in Chester and may consider doing a full referb on the boat. Can you advise the address and suitable times for viewing??

(Is there a B****y spellchecker on this forum???))
bert

Post by bert »

jon711 wrote:(Is there a B****y spellchecker on this forum???))
Do the orginal in word ,spell check then cut & paste,
RSB

Post by RSB »

I was not hoping for such a fast response - from jon711 above plus I have received a pm, which asked for photos.
I will be able to post some photos within a week or so, just to let you all see what the boat is like.
To be fair, if I end up with more than one person interested, first refusal has to go to whoever responded first - which is jon711.

Hope this is OK
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

bert wrote:
jon711 wrote:(Is there a B****y spellchecker on this forum???))
Do the orginal in word ,spell check then cut & paste,
Of tupik, butt if ewe use firefox, the free web-browsor, then you kan instal a fwee shpel checquer wot doez unfourtuneaightly nut do grama init! It red undelines all the mispeled wurds.

I hope No 8 does find a safe home - I'm not going to 'bid' as I have not the time to do her justice. But very much enjoy sailing 194!

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
RSB

Post by RSB »

Update on Pegasus 8:

'jon711' has had a look at the boat and decided not to take her on. After much prodding and poking the rot to the hull is a bit more extensive than I had realized. He felt the job is do-able, but not with the facilities he has at his disposal.

I attach some pics (this and the following post) for general info and hopefully to illustrate the problem.

Starboard side - small isolated area of rot to hog near front of centreboard case, as described in original post.
Port side (the newly discovered bit) - area of rot to stringer and hull ply, relatively small area, maybe not much more than a square foot, but completely gone, probably not helped by a glassfibre repair sealing moisture in.
Otherwise hull appears generally sound.

Pics taken in garage with flash. jon711 - if you think the shots you took in the sunshine would add anything please upload if you don't mind. Also any more description you feel worth adding in more boatbuilder type language to help people understand the repair job required - please do - very much appreciated.

So the boat is up for grabs again to someone not put off by the above.

'Andrew' - you sent me a pm on the first day shortly after jon711 responded, so I guess you have first refusal. Please let me know whether you still may be interested.

01.jpg
(191.98 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
02.jpg
(219.54 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
03.jpg
(209.31 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
RSB

Post by RSB »

More pics relating to previous post
04.jpg
(209.63 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
05starboard.jpg
(143.11 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
06port.jpg
(172.08 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

First.....I am not an interested party!

But as far as the damage goes.....it doesn't look too bad, but looks can be deceptive.

To really understand 'what' needs doing, it would be good if first someone could just have a good dig around and remove all the rotten stuff......so you have a 'hole' and not some painted rott.

then everyone would have a better idea of what they were getting into.

But as I said, it doesn't look too bad really.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Had this come up before the Marauder I would have been an interested party, but alas, too late...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Pegasus no8 is definitly repairable. It would appear that the hull started leaking and the leak was then "solved" by use of glass mat. All this did was lock the moisture into the hull.

When we had removed the mat, (To see if it was worth restoring) the rotten wood went from the front of the centreboard case to the rear - both sides!!. It really needs the case removing, a few graving pieces let into the hog, and the bottom panels replacing for this area.

There is also an issue with the deck - we pushed through the deck on the port side behind the spray rail and there is a botched fibreglass repair to the aft side decks starboard side. Ideally it needs redecking..

The boat is still saveable, but only just....

I cann't figure out how to attach pictures but mine don't show any more detail than the pictures already posted..

Regards

Jon