Too good to miss.

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Graham T

Re: Too good to miss.

Post by Graham T »

Really really don't need it - have no space, have no money, have too many boats....... but it is only just down the road and it looks really cheap..... HELP!!! Please somebody tell me not to bid!!!!! :)
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
JimC

Post by JimC »

Graham T wrote:Really really don't need it - have no space, have no money, have too many boats....... but it is only just down the road and it looks really cheap..... HELP!!! Please somebody tell me not to bid!!!!! :)
OK, Don't bid. After all you'll only regret it the day you take it for its first sail after restoration, all shiny with new varnish and garnering admiration from the goofers gallery...
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I've had a close look at the photos and you can see it has had standing water on the Port side tank and possibly all down the port side. Apart from the fact that there is a large expanse of Grey, bare wood there, (which might survive if it's good ply, there is a hand sized hole under the stern quarter knee, and you can see on a rear shot, that the port gunwhale has come away from the stern quarter.

This would be a bit worrying with regard to the state of the transom and hog, where even a small amount of water may have done irrepairable damage, unless, like AG's Merlins someone spilt some epoxy into the stern to ensure the water all drained out of the flaps when parked stern down under a less than waterproof tarpaulin.

I do not believe this boat has been laid up in the barn since it was put away, and who knows how much frost it has suffered in a damp condition.

My guess is that the hull needs alot more work than is apparent on first inspection, but as noted, the accompanying kit could be a goldmine of genuine classic era kit to a classic i14 project manager if the hull is dead.

I hope it doesn't go to a boat jumbler.
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

To put any minds at rest of potential rescuers, the dry leaves in it lead me to think it is in an open Dutch Barn and thus more or less in the dry, the grey/silvering is quite often found in old two packs - nothing walnut shells will not easily deal with-, the hole is no big deal given suitable veneer, all the corners will need reconstructing.gluing bow and both quarters but hey the bits are all there! Mcutcheon built very strong boats. The colour of the veneer and wood can easily be restored by "colorback" or any of the home remedies frequently discussed on this site.
This is too good to be broken for spares!
Simples.
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Thank goodness other people are bidding on this so I don't have to - I really hope it does go to a good home.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club