Contender?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nessa

Contender?

Post by Nessa »

Diamonds? transom sheeted? the shape looks right, but...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Contender-sailing ... 2a05578363
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Re: Contender?

Post by Nigel »

I suppose the question is is it a very early variant or something that has been bastardised to keep it going. A quick look at the history section on the international contender site shows even the first contenders with centre sheeting & no diamonds so I think my money is on the latter.

It would be nice to be proved wrong though.

Does the sheet run forward then off the boom to the helm?
JimC

Post by JimC »

I can remember Contenders with diamonds - it makes a lot of sense on a trapeze boat actually - where do you think the RS600 got the idea - and in the Cherubs we learned about stern bridle -> centre vang sheeting from the Kiwis back in the v late 70s.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Did they use 2 tiller extensions for a Contender rigged like that?
Rupert
corkman

Post by corkman »

Definitely an early Contender. I'm probably the one to blame for putting Transom (or more precisely, end of boom sheeting) on the Contender. I'm also to blame for putting lowers on. I built my Contender (IR1) in Freddie Gale's shed in Ickenham in 1972 from a kit. GRP shell plus timber deck and cockpit. Apart from a few all timber wooden Australian kits, most UK boats were either all GRP Rondars or Rondar shelled composites. Masts at the time were Proctor c with diamonds and spreaders or Noodlespars with diamonds. Both very soft and a far cry from today; hence the introduction of the lowers to get more control. Most boats at the time used the centre main arrangement but I felt an end of boom arrangement kept the centre of the boat clearer. Faster tacking and less transom drag!! I had a bridle just at the forward end of the aft tank with a free floating block. My boom end block was actually attached to a skate on which the clew end of the main was attached. Sheet in and foot flattens; ease off and immediate power in the foot; Oh how good that was to go through peoples lee! The mainsheet was led along under the boom to a block attached to the kicking strap take off and then down to a swivel jamber above the floor in front of the centre plate. No, there were not double extensions, just a 6 foot plastic pipe as a tiller extension. Some of these composites were very beautiful; others not so! Need I say more!!!

Craig
"Nae finnished yet!"
corkman

Post by corkman »

Definitely an early Contender. I'm probably the one to blame for putting Transom (or more precisely, end of boom sheeting) on the Contender. I'm also to blame for putting lowers on. I built my Contender (IR1) in Freddie Gale's shed in Ickenham in 1972 from a kit. GRP shell plus timber deck and cockpit. Apart from a few all timber wooden Australian kits, most UK boats were either all GRP Rondars or Rondar shelled composites. Masts at the time were Proctor c with diamonds and spreaders or Noodlespars with diamonds. Both very soft and a far cry from today; hence the introduction of the lowers to get more control. Most boats at the time used the centre main arrangement but I felt an end of boom arrangement kept the centre of the boat clearer. Faster tacking and less transom drag!! I had a bridle just at the forward end of the aft tank with a free floating block. My boom end block was actually attached to a skate on which the clew end of the main was attached. Sheet in and foot flattens; ease off and immediate power in the foot; Oh how good that was to go through peoples lee! The mainsheet was led along under the boom to a block attached to the kicking strap take off and then down to a swivel jamber above the floor in front of the centre plate. No, there were not double extensions, just a 6 foot plastic pipe as a tiller extension. Some of these composites were very beautiful; others not so! Need I say more!!!

Craig
"Nae finnished yet!"
davidh

Post by davidh »

Craig,

Hi there Corkman - we meet again!

I had pictures of you in your boat, complete with the needlespar that broke (costing you a possible podium place at the worlds) in the presentation I have at the recent worlds.... I'm pretty sure that the pics are also in the Contender Book, Hooked On - 40 years of the International Contender... I'm sure that the other forumites on here won't mind if I hijack the thread for an unashamed plug for just a few lines - the book is on sale now (Nessa and Nikky got theirs at the weekend), if you want a copy let me know and I'll post one northwards. Will it need a customs label for Aberdeen?

As to the tiller extension, I've pictures of Bob Miller sailing with a 'snap lock' tiller, much like those used by blind and partially sighted people. How this behaved when sailing downwind in a lot of breeze.... pass!

Whilst in OZ, I met Mike Alsop from Australia, I think you met him.... we bundled him up in a harness and sent him out on a Contender for the first time in 32 years.

Let me know if you want a cure for insomnia and I'll send up a book, £15 + P&P

Dougal
David H
corkman

Post by corkman »

Well, well,well! Thanks for that Dougal! Yes, please - I would like a copy of the Contender book and no the Scttish Parliament haven't got round to border controls just yet!!! Send me your details to craigmoffett@hotmail.com and I'll send you a cheque. And my Noodlespar collapsing cost me the championship; I still finished third even having to count that discard.

Cheers, Craig - ex "Hazel Irene"

"Nae finnished yet!"
davidh

Post by davidh »

Craig

have emailed you. Your story figures large in Ch2 (Nessa... was it was Ch2... I've sold my copy!!) along with the tale of the poor Swede who the rescue teams 'lost', leaving him to make it ashore somewhere down the coast!!

You're in twice - I'm sure, as your rig gets a big mention in the 'Rigs' chapter here.

Mike Alsop said that if I ran into you I had to pass on his regards!!!

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Come to think of it - could this explain why Dave C has been so grumpy of late!

He got HIS copy too at the weekend, I'm sure he's sat there like some Dickensian school master, red pen in hand. I expect my report to read "must try harder"!!!

either that OR..............

He's heard that I may have found the ultimate in handicap bandit boats but am saying nothing until I arrive at Oulton Broad - and he's tearing his hair out (he's not got a lot to start with) trying to second guess activities down here

or

He realises that he hasn't scored better than 5 out of 10 on a test that I set him.... really a case of "must try harder"..........

D
David H
corkman

Post by corkman »

Dougal, the poor Swede was nearly the late Swede! I can recall sitting in the bottom of my Contender with all the broken bits shipshape and strapped down when the Swede (I think his name was Lindahl) capsized next to me. He disappeared down wind still upside down - bear in mind that it had been blowing a gale all day and the seas were very steep - A few minutes later a rescue boat came alongside me and I suggested they go after the Swede as I was perfectly safe and could be rescued later. Bear in mind that we didn't start until 6.30 pm and it was begining to get dark. They couldn't find him and returned to tow me ashore. We all had an anxious few hours wait until about 10 pm we got a phone call at the Club to say that they had a rather wet sailor who needed collecting from further down the Meer. Boy1 were we all relieved!

I suppose it's incidents like tnis that memories are made of!

Craig

"Nae finnished yet!2
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Fear not, the red pen is fine and I have now concerns about bandits.

I would like to reply further but I am sure it would be off topic and I know that is not allowed so we must not misbehave :twisted:
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Daves
No such thing as a handicap bandit with CVRDA, also because it's you Dougal the handicap allocated would be bound to put you to the back of the fleet. ROTFLOL

Cheers Al