A Classic Sunfish

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Michael Brigg

A Classic Sunfish

Post by Michael Brigg »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alcort-Sunfish-a- ... 1398695050

Any comments Nigel?

Looks rather nice, even down to the crome plated lethal looking handle/ram, but I would guess half the point of owning one of these is that it should be in indestructible synthetic stuff, for kids to play Bumper-boats in and able to be draggedup and down the beach without worrying about the finish.
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Re: A Classic Sunfish

Post by Nigel »

Sunfish. Second only to the mighty Beachcomber in the world of lateen rigged dinghies.

I did not realise they originally made them in wood but apparently glass only came in in 1953 (launched in 1949). I don't know how long wood continued but it must be quite an old boat.

I like it :D
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

Everything (probably more) you want to know about the sunfish; first grp in 1960, wood phased out then but still available as a kit until late 60's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunfish_(sailboat)
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I think it's very lovely.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I had a Sunfish (GRP) a few years ago, and was very impressed........I expected it to sail badly and only go downwind. But the rig is deceptively big, and powerful (compared to what I expected anyway). I found it would actually go reasonably well to windward as long as you didn't try to pinch too much, and was generally quite responsive. The one design fault though, was the rudder.....the blade angled too far aft, so it felt like the rudder was only half down. It was designed like this in order for the blade to completely clear the beach when up, I think. I didn't get around to making a new blade, but I'm sure it would have improved the handling.
All in all, a lot of fun, and the quickest boat to rig.......I spent one of the most memorable afternoons on a perfect sailing day, hot, with a steady F3, just beam reaching back and forth across the bottom of Chichester Harbour, and believe it or not, I just about had her planing a few times! :)
Sami.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Looks like Wikipedia is at odds with the association website. Its on the internet so it must all be true :) .
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Sami,

you will have to try the Beachcomber when you visit Shirehampton :shock: .

Pictures here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1881&p=14601&hilit ... ber#p14601