Fancy your own Planet?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Jools

Fancy your own Planet?

Post by Jools »

Having not sailed for over a year, maybe it's time thin out the fleet. Jupiter, probably the only Planet class dinghy still around, is in the garage in bits, but complete and with lots of original bits. There's a pic taken after her first restoration a few years ago on the Dinghy Database, she's really quite nice to sail and stable too. An old combi if wanted (ex Phantom) which I've used locally without issue, good P&B cover, nice wood spars, main and various suitable jibs. I'll gently work on her, but if anyone fancies having a whole Planet of their very own, let me know. Having been rescued from rotting in the long grass, it would be nice if she went to a good home and lasted another 50+ years.
Michael Brigg

Re: Fancy your own Planet?

Post by Michael Brigg »

What a fabulous looking boat!? I just Love it.

No space in my stable I'm afraid, but this has to be a CVRDA crowd pleaser.

Quirky, Original, Stylish. It has the style of an MGA/Triumph spitfire about it.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ah my mystery boat:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3491

now it all comes flooding back. What a wonderful job you have done.

what a complete beauty!

Do you have any more photos? Not that I could take her on.....but just to get a better feeling for how she looks.
What kind of weight does she support? Do you know anything more about the class? Were they sailed on the river mainly?
How much does she weigh? Is she very wet?

If I still had space, time or inclination.....I would just love to.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Possibly more Chitty Chitty Bang Bang than MGA but I would love it dearly

Nigel
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

A question for the panel. What would be the PY of a Planet?

Firefly rig? Firefly =100
N12 rig? N12=96

Is it faster or slower?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think we might have to see it sailing... should be faster, but I'll take bets on it being slower...
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

The foot print in the water would surely be the most important issue. A bit like the difference between running in bare feet compared to running in trainers.

Downhill it could be expected to fly. :lol: Upwind, with a skinny wooden mast and that massive gap under the boom to allow all the pressure in the main to escape I would not expect a blistering performance, especialy with the stiffer cloths and fuller sail cuts now being used. :cry:

The Hull shape looks to be very flat and in any kind of a chop would be crashing through rather than over the waves. The Plank is completely flat/horizontal, not built up off the deck atall and might be a liability in waves but...sailing along in a blinding mist of spray and action who cares about speed. :lol:
Michael Brigg
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I remember this boat well. It was designed by Eric Willis who had a boat building business near Kingston bridge. I remember him bringing the prototype to Hampton SC for members to try - must have been very late 50's. I did not get a go. I have never seen another since that day.