Historic OK seeks new carer(!)

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
gbr1918

Historic OK seeks new carer(!)

Post by gbr1918 »

Hi All,
OK1774, 'Daylight Come' is looking for a new home. This was Dick Batt's boat in it's original glory days (won everything), but has had a long and illustrious career since at the front of the fleet with Tony Thresher, and since then, with Richard Burton. Burt (being one of the Young Guns of the OK fleet) is moving up to something a bit more recent to achieve his ambition of World Domination, but (very responsibly) doesn't want to hand 1774 on to someone who is going to thrash it for a couple of years and then burn it, or leave it sitting in the weeds at the back of the dinghy park until it falls to bits. I thought I'd mention it on here in case anyone fancies an OK which dates from the 70's and is still capable of winning open meetings.
The boat is in Oxfordshire, the advert is at http://www.okdinghy.co.uk/boatlist/boatlist.php, here's a pic of the old girl at the Nationals last year (Christchurch, photo by Joanne Arnell) Image
just to show that it still hangs together in a breeze!
Dave Cooper
(dave@accuramatic.co.uk)
chris

Re: Historic OK seeks new carer(!)

Post by chris »

Funny coincidence, but only yesterday I was talking to an older member of our club (shearwater) about an OK open meeting here years ago and how Dick Batt won it - now here's the boat!
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

How on earth do you get under that boom?
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Headroom is about the same as a Las*r. Just remember to release the kicker and/or mainsheet before you tack or gybe....
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Loads of room compared to a Europe boom...that involves some proper limbo dancing! Same techniques apply though - no kicker on upwind and release some mainsheet before you tack otherwise you get stuck under the boom and the inevitable capsize quickly follows!

Ian
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

limbo dancing in a europe; now that I gotta see!!
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

This boat is still very quick indeed. It's a well known story as to how it got it's name but I'll repeat it if reqiured.
As already said, ease mainsheet tension and kicker and cause of that nice deep v hull, there is oodles of room to go under the boom. Just as much as a Solo and Contender. I've sailed both.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005