Wooden Osprey Mk II

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
adam

Wooden Osprey Mk II

Post by adam »

Hi there
I have a wooden Osprey MK II sail number 663, she is sound with all gear, Mast , centre board ,pole , rudder but no trailer.I dont have time to work on her so she is free to a good home . The transom cover is de-laminated and needs replacing but other wise all good. I am near Emsworth on the South coast. SHe has been under cover for the last year.

Adam
Attachments
osprey small2.jpg
osprey small.jpg
JB9

Re: Wooden Osprey Mk II

Post by JB9 »

Well, as much as I was resisting another trapeze boat I have always wanted an Osprey. If anybody has some sails that are surplus or a launch trolley then please let me know.
Harrier 25
505 7163
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I used to have a Mk 1 Osprey. Two digit Sail No but I can't remember what! Lovely Lovely boat to sail... if you can find a good one do go for it it won't be regretted. They do take a lot of time and materials to paint and varnish though!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looking at the sig, I think our JB9 has taken the plunge with this one - congratulations!
Rupert
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Congratulations on a wonderful boat choice. The Osprey class has a very active forum on their web site which may help with sails. If not then I may have something tucked away in the loft but will not get to look until the new year.
Out of interest there was only ever one MkI Osprey built for the olympic trials. The design was then slightly altered so Mk II was the first production, available either from a kit or built by Bell Woodworking. What you have is a MkIIA with the draining aft tank - the MKII's floated very high after a capsize. It looks like she has been updated over the years to a modern spec with the split tail mainsheet, spinnaker chute and full mast gate.
Hope you have fun sailing her - there is a lot of varnishing in one of these though!
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I sailed an osprey in the Bloody Mary once, with a female helm. We were seriously overpowered, but it was amazing fun.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I can't imagine that it will be overpowered compared to a Jollyboat.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

we were 470 weight at the time.......those were the days.... :oops:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Nessa wrote:I sailed an osprey in the Bloody Mary once, with a female helm. We were seriously overpowered, but it was amazing fun.
Did you have the board half up on the beats? That's the essential thing to do in an Osprey regardless of crew weight. I raced them for about 20 years with crews ranging from 9 to 15 stone including a spell in the 70s when a well known I14 and Finn ace graciously crewed for me. To really appreciate an Osprey though you need to take her out on the sea in a good breeze.
Best wishes

SB