Jack Holt Rambler

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nessa

Jack Holt Rambler

Post by Nessa »

The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Re: Jack Holt Rambler

Post by chris »

Bet its only 14ft long...
If so it a merlin called Typhoon no 220 at Holt 'charm' c. 1951
chris

Post by chris »

bidding has just finished - no bidders.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

It was in the fishing boat section!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

Shame really; the deck was shot but I bet the hull was still sound.
davidh

Post by davidh »

For those of you who went "huh" at the name of the Jack Holt Rambler, I can but refer you to the Holt talk I gave at the Dinghy Show (plus Chichester and Wraysbury) when the Rambler featured big time! A double chine hull, think a large Solo or enterbox, but 17ft long.

Once again this is the dreaded ebay tape measure at work, from what can be seen, one would have to say a classic Holt built hull.

By the look of it, a cheap project for someone.

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

A cheap boat ......maybe.... a cheap project somehow I doubt considering the lack of mast, foils, sails, trolley, trailer etc....

But still, well worth it.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

I knew the number 220 rang a bell but I have only just worked it out.

It was a 'desperately seeking a new home' boat at one of the Thames clubs some years ago and was taken on by a vintage enthusiast in the south east, who also owns at least one more ribbed merlin. When the issue of the brand new 'vintage' merlin 1065 came up he told me he was going to dispose of his merlins and have nothing to do with the association. I'm guessing he has passed this one on and perhaps there is a new owner who does not know how long a merlin is and has decided to shift it. I also know that someone else purloined the cotton sails and I think there was a wooden mast that also went walkies from the club but I can't remember the details.

There is a growing group of us (mostly, but certainly not exclusively, in the west) promoting the ribbed merlins. ie pre number 500 . We feel there is need to cater for these and look forward to racing together like for like with these boats in similar conditions of originality. If someone does take this boat on talk to me about parts. I could help with a mast, boom even some sails etc.

220 is the same model as Diabolo no 214 which was a successful winner is still sailing well.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

chris wrote:Bet its only 14ft long...
If so it a merlin called Typhoon no 220 at Holt 'charm' c. 1951
If you look carefully at the pictures you can actually see "220" carved on the thwart
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Chris.....thank you for saving me! I'd been sat here racking my brains about this one, now you've jogged the old grey cells (them wot are left) it has all come back to me.

I'm sorry to hear that another owner is bailing out from the 'real oldies' wing but I guess that is something of an inevitable consequence of some of what has been going on. Had things worked out just a tad better, I'd have hooked up with Spiderman Ian at Baltic Wharf and we could have talked some ideas through. From the media perspective, the Golden Oldie fleet has a huge potential, it just needs the right sort of platform that will bring more of these boats together. The Finns can do it, the Moths can do it, it is possible that even the 505s can try..... but the class that actually started the classic 'thing' sadly looks to be going the other way.

But, as I said, the media opportunity is there. It might sound a bit 'cart before the house' to think of events in terms of media exposure first, but at the same time, if it provides the incentive to get an alternative programme organised, then so be it.

220 should be a good deal for someone to restore with some sympathy - I hope so anyway, though with the news that another owner walked away, one does wonder.

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

It's all the more impetus to put forward my proposal for the Merlin Rocket Historic Wing within the class association, thanks to the Finns for showing the way with their two classic wings with and without carbon.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat...watch this space!

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

David - Watch your email!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

Afraid I wont be joining any wing within the Merlin association now. Love the boats...... but
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

That is a veritable sea of new deck ply there.....won't be cheap, if that was all you had to do. Which it wont be.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"