Letting my Albacore Twinkle go - any takers?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Mr. Ben

Letting my Albacore Twinkle go - any takers?

Post by Mr. Ben »

After my well publicised adventure at the Bosham Classic this year, I've decided that I've got to let Twinkle go.

For those of you that didn't see the report or video, basically I suffered a major leak in that the mast step got pushed through the hog which was completely rotten at that point.

I've assessed the damage and I've been really undecided whether to let her go or to repair her. I know I could repair her relatively easily as I undertook similar repairs to the stern about 2 years ago which included repairing the cold-moulded hull, the hog, the keel and the transom. The problem is that I estimate that it's probably 40-80 hours work and I just don't have that sort of spare time at the moment.

The sad thing is that the boat is in extremely good and rot free condition apart from the need for this repair. So it's not like the usual restoration job where the visible rot is merely indicative of a general malaise - do the repair and the boat will be back to fighting fit! And she is a competitive boat - I've won numerous club titles with her and she's always been competitive at CVRDA meets (I can't necessarily same the same about me!). She's mildly race-rigged (well thought-out but minimal controls rather that the usual cats-cradle!) and is all varnished so she wears her scars proudly rather than hiding them under paint.

She's a 1962 Fairey Marine Albacore (one without the rear deck) with the gold mast and North Sails. These are fairly old but still reasonable.

I'm happy to let her go for £100 (which is probably what I'd get for the recoverable bits if I scrapped her). If anyone wants the combi-trailer as well then that's another £150.

Please someone save her - I really don't want to put her on the bonfire.
Mr. Ben
RYA Training Principal- Thames Sailing Club
Merlin Rocket Star 1842 'Emmeline'
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Letting my Albacore Twinkle go - any takers?

Post by Ed »

Really sorry to hear that.

Only wish I had a little more time myself. The silly thing is that lots of people will buy a boat not knowing that they will have more work to do to get it sailable than there is with Twinkle, but there you go....

If I was looking....

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it