Bronze Sailing dinghy winch, very very old.

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
kelvin273

Bronze Sailing dinghy winch, very very old.

Post by kelvin273 »

I have had a bit of bronze propping open my garage door for years. Decided to have a clearout and put it on ebay. I asked for advice as to what it was and got the following replies.

'Its a sailing dinghy winch. Used for either tightening the kicker or lifting the centreboard. It s a good age!'

'I sailed a RNSA 14ft dinghy when i was a kid. It had one fixed to the forward end of the centreboard case. There's a rope around the big wheel and when you pull it the wheel turns. There's a mechanical advantage over anything connected to the small axle.'

'Find the cvrda site (classic and vintage racing dinghy association). I suspect their forum will get excited about it.'

I have put it on Ebay for auction with a start price of £199. There is one for fixed price of £275 which looks to be a bit bent. Mine is straight and really nice.

Is anyone excited enough to want it?
jules22

Re: Bronze Sailing dinghy winch, very very old.

Post by jules22 »

Welcome ! , Good luck with that............. I have seen them in boat jumbles for £20. :wink:
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I have got two.....both bought for under £20 at boat jumbles. I thought they were worth it for the scrap value, but never weighed them in as they are kind of nice things to block open doors and things...

As you say, I think most of them came from RNSA14s, although I have seen them on other older heavy dinghies.

I saw that someone had put one of ebay for £275......and was pretty amazed to be honest.

That isn't to say they won't get it of course....they may, but personally, I wouldn't pay that for one, but if you get lots of offers, I would certainly sell you mine for £50 each!!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I have one at home which you can have for a fiver! :D
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Actually, I think I remember now....I think I bought the first one to make a CVRDA event prize, but thought it was just too bloody heavy to actually give to anyone, at least without them swearing at you....

nice things though....

I mean, if I saw one in a boat jumble for a fiver, I would most probably buy it....

I wonder what I could build with 3 of the things :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jules22

Post by jules22 »

I would quite like your one Tony for a fiver, if you were serious ................ as I one day hope to build a cruising dinghy with a heavy center plate and it would be ideal for this. :D
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

jules22 wrote:I would quite like your one Tony for a fiver, if you were serious ................ as I one day hope to build a cruising dinghy with a heavy center plate and it would be ideal for this. :D
I'm thinking it may not be complete, but the drum and shaft are there.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
jules22

Post by jules22 »

No worries if its incomplete, I will keep an eye out at jumbles. :wink:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ed wrote:Actually, I think I remember now....I think I bought the first one to make a CVRDA event prize, but thought it was just too bloody heavy to actually give to anyone, at least without them swearing at you....

nice things though....

I mean, if I saw one in a boat jumble for a fiver, I would most probably buy it....

I wonder what I could build with 3 of the things :-)

eib
A small black hole?
Rupert
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

To my great surprise I find that there are new, bronze centreboard winches still available....Norfolk Marine have them for the bargain sum of £469!
jules22

Post by jules22 »

I may have to stop being so tight and offer £25 for the next working one I see at a jumble ! :wink: