Daring dinghy

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
JimC

Re: Daring dinghy

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote:won't take up any more space, nor resource, than a Merlin or 14.
If you only have room for one boat you probably want it to be a good one. The same probably applies if you only have room for two. So the market for the obscurities that probably weren't that great is limited to people who have good dry storage for multiple boats, and that most likely excludes the majority of us.
davidh

Post by davidh »

An obscurity that probably wasn't that great......oh, sorry, I forgot. It's not Australian in it's DNA, not a Canoe and therefore can be dismissed in such easy terms.

Now that DOES say something to me!

D
David H
trebor

Post by trebor »

Nice looking boat, was it competing for sales against the GP14 ?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Much more racy than the GP.

Not sure what it was competing against directly, but was up against plenty of 14 foot racing dinghies.

Pocket Rocket has always been a tricky place to be. Maybe a trapeze on a small boat makes for a poor light wind performance compared to sitting out boats, or maybe areas suited to trapezes are also suited to bigger boats.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Quite a bit of internet traffic about this boat, Y&Y mention in 2015, David mentioned it on here not so long back.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6630
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/ ... tification
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
davidh

Post by davidh »

Robert and Rupert plus others

The Daring was a clear move towards a more performance orientated dinghy - they were no slouch and after interviewing people who had built and sailed them, the impression was of a very capable performer. They were of course part of a duo in that they had a big brother in the Challenge dinghy - a 16ft 6in hard chined flying machine. Sadly, this boat was also too easily dismissed by some as the 'cheap mans 505' which was something of a dis-service, for I've sailed a Challenge as a trapeze crew and it was fun and fast.

Rupert though has hit the nail right on the head with his comment about the 'pocket rocket' genre (something that I've made an extra effort to research) with the harsh Darwinian facts being that none of the serious attempts to crack this market in the past have succeeded with any degree of longevity. The one exception is the superb 29er, which really owes it's existence to it's role as the best of the advanced asymmetric training boats and lead in to the 49er.

The other modern attempts at pocket rockets - a good example being the RS500 , well, there isn't a lot to say about them. I've sailed them and a well sorted Marauder/M14 was a far superior boat to sail across the full range of conditions. The casualty list though is lengthy - Daring, Pegasus, Ghost, M14, Typhoon, Lazy E, Jacksnipe and others (didn't the Zenith sport a trapeze too)?)

Just because they failed doesn't make any of these into 'bad' boats, for if you dig deep enough, you can find some pretty interesting reasons why they didn't progress with few of these being that they weren't up to the job. It's worth remembering that even the excellent Fireball struggled to gain full acceptance by the sailing establishment, with one well known figure (amongst others) who had been tasked to try it complaining that it was "like sailing a f******g ironing board"!. You only have to mention the word 'Fireball' to Alan Williams, a lifelong Horneteer, to a glimpse of the barriers that were put up to some of the incoming classes.

Let us hope that the Daring can be saved, for the reasons set out above. I hope so - just as I hope that one day we can, under the umbrella of the CVRDA, have a pocket rocket special - because any event that saw these boats out together would be just that - special.

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote: therefore can be dismissed in such easy terms.
Get out of bed the wrong side did we?
Tctor68

Post by Tctor68 »

Success managed to post pics :-)

Here are some more on the Daring

davidh

Post by davidh »

I too found more detail on the Daring.

I found it very interesting that the boat was viewed as the trainer for the 505... in the same way that the OK was the lead in boat to the Finn.

An interesting perspective and yet another reason why this boat MUST be saved

D
David H
Number 7

Post by Number 7 »

I've posted the details on the Weston Sailing Club Facebook page, lets hope someone there is looking for a project...