Merlin Mk12 'Wozzo' available for an RNLI donation

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Mr. Ben

Merlin Mk12 'Wozzo' available for an RNLI donation

Post by Mr. Ben »

Merlin Rocket Mk12 (we believe) number 1447 'Wozzo' built by Bob Hoare. This has been a fast boat here on the river Thames and had a lot of success with a previous owner in club racing. In fact I think Nick actually won one of the the CVRDA events we held at TSC a few years back in Wozzo.
She's still a solid boat with nothing of concern in the hull. However the decks need attention as they are lifting in places and the varnish on the decks could really do with stripping back.
The last owner removed all the original rigging with the intention of modernising the controls then never got round to it. So there's not much rigging-wise on the boat - she'll need fully re-rigging. However, if you do want to go properly vintage, she has a rather nice square section wooden boom as well as a more modern ally boom. There's a bunch of sails that are serviceable but none are great. She has what I reckon are her original foils. She has the usual Proctor gold mast.

If someone is willing to give a reasonable donation to the RNLI, they can have her. I'd like to see her in a new home before winter sets in. She's way too good to let rot away.
Mr. Ben
RYA Training Principal- Thames Sailing Club
Merlin Rocket Star 1842 'Emmeline'
chrismartin3583

Re: Merlin Mk12 'Wozzo' available for an RNLI donation

Post by chrismartin3583 »

This was at Midland SC for many, many decades stored in the shed and sailed by its first or second owner until his death about 10 years ago. We were only talking about it yesterday wondering where it was!

When Alan sailed it it was almost totally original. The spinnaker was still rigged inside the jib!!

I hope she finds a good home!
slimtim

Post by slimtim »

Hi Ben, I have sent you a text ref having a look at Wozzo. Tim
Mr. Ben

Post by Mr. Ben »

Just a quick update as its always nice ot hear that a decent boat is to be saved rather than left to rot. Well done to Tim for taking pity on Wozzo. I look forward to seeing her back sailing at Tamesis in the future.
Mr. Ben
RYA Training Principal- Thames Sailing Club
Merlin Rocket Star 1842 'Emmeline'
slimtim

Post by slimtim »

Safely in the lock-up! I have chopped out the bit of the transom that had lost the battle against the damp and she will now be able to dry out for a few months before getting a makeover during the summer. Hopefully a chance to use up all the bits I bought and didn't use when I sorted out MR596 this time last year!

Definitely back on the river this year.