Vintage Finn

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
d3735

Vintage Finn

Post by d3735 »

Pearson Finn sail no. IRL 10 has been sitting outside so timber will need replacing wooden mast boom and rudder dry stored two sails one very nice shape launching trolley boat lying in County Wicklow Southern Ireland will need trailer to move. I really enjoyed sailing very easy to get up on the plane would suit enthusiast with time to restore basically sound more cosmetic than anything FREE TO TAKE AWAY am moving house by end of December and will UNFORTUNATELY be forced to scrap if no takers here’s hoping. Contact d3735@me.com or phone 00353879683757
Michael Brigg

Re: Vintage Finn

Post by Michael Brigg »

Tempting but a fair bit of driving and a ferry (Cheapest £224 return) but it is free to a good home and it has a functional wooden mast :)

Unfortunately if I bought this I would have to call it "Lizzie Borden." :twisted:
Michael Brigg
d3735

Post by d3735 »

Hi fellow enthusiasts I’m relieved to report that the Finn has escaped the scrapyard someone from Ireland has given it a home happy days.
Best regards to all Derek.
(Who is Lizzie Borden)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Glad to hear it Derek!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

d3735 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:59 pm Hi fellow enthusiasts I’m relieved to report that the Finn has escaped the scrapyard someone from Ireland has given it a home happy days.
Best regards to all Derek.
(Who is Lizzie Borden)
Lizzie Borden took an Axe,
And gave her mother forty wacks.
When she saw what she had done
She gave her father forty-one.

Well, the actual TOTAL number of blows recorded at the post- mortem (29) was altered in the sake of the metre and the rest of the story, which would have rivalled the story of Oscar Pistorias (although he didn't get a nursery rhyme) can be found here.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... ook-an-axe

The reference seemed apt given the imminent fate of your Finn and my own had I been bold enough to buy her against uxorial advice.

For the record her (step)mother had to pre-decease her father in order to allow her to inherit his considerable estate.. A point that the Grand Jury failed to notice or more probably turned a blind eye to.
Michael Brigg
Donie75

Post by Donie75 »

So I am the new custodian of IR10, thanks to Derek for offering it up and not scrapping it. I'm looking forward to getting her restored and out on the water again. I'd love to know some of the history if anyone knows the background to this old Finn. Is there a register/archive of old boats available. The boat has a lovely old wooden mast, possibly a Bruder. The hull is dark green with a grey deck that may be covering up a yellowish colour.
What is the best wood to use top replace the thwart, rubbing strake and surround around the centreboard/plate?
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Welcome to the world of classic Finns. I have a Bruder mast on my Finn, if you send me a photo of the makers mark I should be able to tell you if it's a Bruder. As for replacing the wood, mahogany was probably used originally, perhaps with teak gunwhales. Iroka is probably the best modern wood but you may find that the wood you've got will come up well with a scrape and then some treatment, linseed oil on the gunwhale and varnish on the rest.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash