And now a Shearwater in France.

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Alan P.

And now a Shearwater in France.

Post by Alan P. »

Yes, I've been browsing Leboncoin again. I really must get out more.
I just love the matching vintage trailer in the background of the second picture. The boat has been owned by the seller since 1978.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/18048 ... 4051296304
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
LASERTOURIST

Re: And now a Shearwater in France.

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Shearwater were imported in France at some point but they were not , by far, the only cats sailing in France

Pierre Le Marrec had created a catamaran called Veloce (aptly named, it could out run a 505) and had it tested in various clubs including YCIF and CVP on the river Seine, not the best place to sail a catamaran.

Then Lucien Gourmez, who later imported Darts and Tornadoes created The Exocet , very similar to the Prout Shearwater...it was just as fast and rather bullet proof ,Gourmez completed a round Corsica trek with one of the first exocets out of the mould.

(no it was not thesame exocet that almost avenged Mers-El Kebir during the Malouines War :D)...
Bateauxreviewed the cat models available in 1962 and ran an on-water a comparative test ...they had a lmost a dozen different catamarans supposely available back in the day...

Prout boats didn't catch very much in France (except for some later big and cumbersome but roomy cruising models) possibly because "prout!" means a farting noise in France. :mrgreen:
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

http://www.goldenoldies.biz/Veloce%20Ar ... 201959.pdf

For the 1958 Veloce (already a Fiberglass-GRP molding; albeit not very well mastered: the first boat was 145 Kgs and the second one weighed 220 Kgs)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

A very nice looking early Shearwater. By the time i started racing them in around 1973 there were very few bridge deck boats still being sailed.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash