Moth mast step

Post your requirements here
angus

Post by angus »

Got my skol moth home at last. needs a few bits and pieces, most are not a problem, but does any body know where i can get a masat step. If I remember correctly it is a little plastic thingy with a spike sticking up about an inch about 3/4 to an inch in diameter. boat seems in fairly original condition except for a horrendous paint job, go faaster runs and mottled appearance. by the way what is the best way to get paint off fibre glass.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
JimC

Post by JimC »

Mast step, you could try fabricating something. Large diameter stainless steel bolt through a lump of wood (or alloy) with the threads filed down the far side of the nut would do...

Paint off fibreglass - random orbital sander.
Jools

Post by Jools »

I had to make a new step for the rotating mast on my old scow moth. Mine required a 12mm diameter pin. I started with a base of alloy plate about 8mm thick cut to a suitable size (about 30mm x 100mm and drilled it to allow 6 fastenings to the deck and with a hole for the pin, which I tapped with a thread. The pin is a 10mm stainless bolt with the head removed and I sleeved this with some 10mm id, 12mm od alloy tube from B&Q. I also have the facility to braze alloy, so I joined the sleeve to the base to make a solid unit. The mast base rotates on a nylon washer. This has worked well for the last year or so. Don't underestimate the loads on this fitting, build it strong.
Jools

Post by Jools »

Angus If you're stuck I may be able to help you out by making something up. Let me know.
angus

Post by angus »

Thanks for advice, I think I will be able to Knock somthing up for myself but thanks anyway jools
angus

Post by angus »

Would you believe it after fabricating one I called round at a friend's house. "I hear you've got and old moth, here are some bits you may find useful" And sitting in there were a couple of plastic mast steps of the right size!!!!!