Single hander preferably car topable

Post your requirements here
Rupert

Re: Single hander preferably car topable

Post by Rupert »

The Europa Moth was from 1960, so easily qualifies. Of course, if it had been from 66, it would have been able to race anyway, as the International moth dates back to 1928, or there abouts! If a class becomes a one design from a qualifying development class, where does that leave us? We could have Bladeriders wanting to play in 23 years! For that matter, foiling moths could be with us in less than 20... One for Greg to worry about, as the rest of us will be too old to care!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

can you help me please by giving my brain cells (befuddled at the best of times) a quick jolt.....what was the name of the guy on the British Moth stand who was trying to get us in contact at the dinghy show.............. and do you have his email?

Cheers

D
David H
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:For that matter, foiling moths could be with us in less than 20... One for Greg to worry about, as the rest of us will be too old to care!
DSM June 2008 has an article about Peter Conway, 75 year old IC(A), Int14 and now Int Moth foiling sailer - so I am sure some of us at least will still be sailing in 20 years time!

Not that we have to wait that long, much less, actually, as a foiling moth was tested at WSC about 10 to 15 years ago, the owner was given day sailing and tried it out. Or at least - he had a daggerboard with end fins on it - It did not work - there was not enough wind (or was he just trying for less tip loss, like America's cup boats were doing at the time). And IC's experimented with foils decades ago.

Anyhow, if one took say a 25 year old int moth and added foils - wouldn't it be cvrda legal? We do have many boats sailing with class-legal improvements e.g. most Pegassus have center main sheeting, and most Merlins have non-cotton sails.

john./
davidh

Post by davidh »

John,

the first 'foiling' moth was tested out at Weston Sailing Club by Ian Ridge.

At the time, Ian filled in spare moments between building Contenders by working on the models for tank testing at Southampton. One such item was a new keel section with a large set of wings attached. Ian view was that the main part of the keel would fit into his dagger board slot.... and lo and behold, a foiling moth was created. It must be stressed though that at this stage the propulsion was provided by Ian being towed behind Weston's rescue boat - but the boat quickly became airborne so the theory worked.

Now came a lot of trouble; firstly, from the Tank Lab...as the section that had been borrowed was 'secret' and then from Weston for mis use of a rescue boat.

The technical issues were far from being solved, for there was nothing on the rudder to control the angle of attack, which resulted in some spectacular capsizes.

If you go to the IMCA website, into 'history' - there are pictures of Ian and others with the winged moth.

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

jpa_wfsc wrote:
DSM June 2008 has an article about Peter Conway, 75 year old IC(A), Int14 and now Int Moth foiling sailer - so I am sure some of us at least will still be sailing in 20 years time!
Do you mean the 65 year old Colin Newman?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Nah....Peter Conway is right....

if you remember Neil.....I think he was the guy at the 2005 canoe worlds in a pyranha converted to AC mode.

He also has a 14 and apparently a foiling moth. Not bad for 75.

I can't see myself being able to sail for that long....at least not a dev class like those.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Ahhh yes......

The confusion came as i had read there was an article on Colin Newman in Y &Y, also an IC and Mothie
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have trouble enough at 42 with a 1970 Skol - can't see me troubling the foilers at 75...
David, It may have been Roger Witts you are thinking of. I'll PM you his details, though you can find them on the British Moth site, I expect. The British Moth is now sold, leaving me to concentrate on the Skol ready for the Nationals, and the Firefly for when I actually want to feel in control...
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

This is definitely car topable and can also be used to keep your chips warm.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEA-SNARK-UNSINKA ... dZViewItem

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The real name is Super Snark, believe it or not...
Thet are built from polystyrene covered in plastic, and I'm hoping (if that is the right word!) to pick one (complete with soggy innerds) for £10 soon, if a 2 boat deal someone else is doing goes through. Could be fun for the kids.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

Burrett has them as "Sea" (I found my copy). Perhaps they underwent an image makeover at some point.

I was wondering if there was a way to dry out the soggy cores of some of these old plastic boats. I was idly contemplating things like large plastic bags piped up to a dehumidifier - (i.e. dry it out then do the repairs to seal it)

Looking forward to seeing the New Labour Snark at an event soon. We can never have too many lateen rigs

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Super Snark was the new "improved" version! They are still being built to this day!

http://www.castlecraft.com/super_snark.htm
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

For if your Snark be a Boojum,
For then,
You will softly and suddenly vanish away
And never be met with again

Soulds like the perfect epitaph for the 'Lost Classes'

D
(maybe there should be trophy for the first 'lost class' at the Nationals....
the 'Snark' Trophy!!)
David H