Single hander preferably car topable

Post your requirements here
alan williams

Re: Single hander preferably car topable

Post by alan williams »

Hi Greg
Try and find an InT. Moth Skol, Duflor, or Europer or such built out of glass they may still be about. Rupert found a nice Rondar built Skol The Chelsea Mornings and such which were the british speed beasts of the day will have long gone. My Chelsea Morning was built out of 2mm ply with a foredeck made out of 1mm modeling ply so these boats have long gone through rot and the fact they were so easy and cheap to build that you threw away the hull at the end of the season and built another one in three weekends and just tranfered the rig over. Even the glass moths are very light and I used to transport mine around on roof of firstly an 850 Mini (student) and then a Mini Cooper S ( graduate) I also used to tow the Hornet with the MCS.
You shoul be able to load a moth on your own very easily.
Cheers Al
Mark

Post by Mark »

One of the Sussex Yacht Club fleet went to the 1963 Finn Gold Cup with his boat on the roof of a Cortina Estate.... No roof rack just a couple of wooden beams..
I used to taipse my winged Misral around on the roof of my 850 Mini, no problem with power but I had to finish the tie down after I shut the doors... The joys of inocent youth
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

thanks guys i was looking at the europe but have got to convince my parents that i need another boat!

anyone know what europe sail numbers qualify?
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

They only started importing/building Europes in the UK in the mid 70's, so you would need an imported Europa Moth (there was a wooden one up for sale last year) to qualify as a classic, but I'd think you'd be OK up to about 100 for the old fleet. I had 172, which was from the very early 90's. The Europe site may have a list of build dates?
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/F170871

Is this eligible? Rupert could answer!!
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

hummm interesting think i may need to nag the parents again! :roll: see if i can be aloud more space in the garage!
Cherub 2646 Madge
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

She's from 1989, I'm afraid. If she was cvrda able, I'd probebly not be selling her!
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Maybe of historic significance - maybe junk!

Maybe old enough - maybe not

Probably fit on a car.

Looks like a puzzle for the British Moth experts to solve :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/British-Moth-473- ... dZViewItem

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Utter nonsense - it is a knackered old GRP hull kitted out with a sail from the broken up "non measuring" British Moth. Not the finest part of British Moth history, that, really!
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

Wow... answered in 22 minutes!

but at least it fits on top of a car. :D

It sounds like there is more to the story of 743. Do I detect a ripple of dark doings in the British Moth world of the 70s?

Nigel
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

From the photo hull looks in pretty good condition to me. Interesting reaction from British Moth sailors halting progress. The Hornets had a similiar problem in 1972 with the Malcom Goodwin Revolution did we throw all our toys out of the pram and have it thrown out of the class. No we accepted that this was the way to go with the class. The Revolution hull shape is now the most previlant in the fleet and with out this sensible step forward the class would have died in the 70's. Seems to me that the BM Assoc. made a very bad mistake back then and missed a good oppertunity to up date an extremly old design and may be win some more boat owners. It could be said that the Revo made all previous designs obsolete but with in about 5 years 80% of the championship fleet were sailing Revo's. Now a days its about 95% with the rest in the main being built by Tim Coombes to the Richard Lovett design.
Cheers Al Finn 424, Shark 41, Nacra 1879, Dolphins, FD crew as of last weekend and hopefully helm of FD365.
Ps
Greg loads of Europe's for sail on Y&Y online classifies, their design dates from mid sixties when they were an International Moth called a Europa. It was a French design, their Sailing Federation decided that they wanted a light weights single hander took the Europa as the design and then drew up rules to make it more or less one design. I certainly would have no problem in allowing a 25 year old Europe to race with the CVRDA as the case has already been made with the Merlins and other development classes boats acceptable if over 25 years old.
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Thats for that Alan i will keep an eye out when the time comes, sadly i will have to wait untill my exams are over in about 1 months time before i can get sailing again. :cry:
Cherub 2646 Madge
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

<snip>
I certainly would have no problem in allowing a 25 year old Europe to race with the CVRDA as the case has already been made with the Merlins and other development classes boats acceptable if over 25 years old.
</snip>

surely the rules are clear.....the class needs to of been established before 1965 and the boat be over 25 years old.

With one-designs, the date of design and formation of class are normally pretty close.
With dev-classes the date of design is not dependent on the age of class.

Boats can only sail with the 'old' wing, if the class was established before 1965.

To be honest, I am not sure whether the Europe class was established before or after 1965......maybe someone else can tell us.

I would hope before......but I would not be surprised if it fell outside and like the Phantom and Marauder did not really fit within our rules, even though many of their boats seem to fit the 'ethos' pretty damn well..

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dark stories of iffy measurement rules, and an innovative builder who pushed the measurement rules to the limit (and a bit beyond). The result was the "modern" hull shape.

The boat in question is, of course not 743 but either a Maple or Runnymede GRP, my personal veiw is that it is a Runnymede. Both builders used the same mould which was taken from BM600 (The Hobbit) a decent "pre modernised" hull shape. She is bound to be on the heavy side and a very typical late '70s Grp moulding.

Mark (Still the owner of 750, a Runnymede !!!)
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net