Combi wanted for a Finn

Post your requirements here
Howlin

Combi wanted for a Finn

Post by Howlin »

Hi,
Best Wishes for 2009 to everybody.
I'm looking for a combi for my Finn. If anyone knows of anything about I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.
Regards,
Simon.
Nessa

Re: Combi wanted for a Finn

Post by Nessa »

Hi Simon,

I have a good contender combi for sale if that is of any use. It is a rapide (I think) and has a cradle shaped to fit a contender but that could probably be changed. i used all last year with no mishaps. It is surplus to need because the boat went to Canada but there was no room in the box for the combi!

It is in Bedford at the moment.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Thanks Nessa, that was quick! I'm sure the length of the trolley would be fine and the cradle would hold the bulk of the hull. How much did you have in mind? I'm located in South Wales, a trip to Bedford isn't out of the question! Or if I could meet you at a convenient spot that would be good, either or!
Cheers and regards,
Simon.
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

My previous Finn trolley was a Vandercraft Contender trolley to which I bolted a Devotti cradle, and it fitted perfectly.
Did you get the Elvstrom in the end Simon?
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Hi, Yes I finally got her. Overall, not too bad. I'm going to have to make a list of jobs and get them done before my kick off on 8th March! The boom has a wheel kicker fitting like on my old OK. Think I'll stick with it but use a couple of blocks to increase the purchase. The mast foot is a little loose in the fitting in the unit in the boat. I'll probably use a plasric wrap around the mast to take up some of this slack, then look to get a new mast foot later in the year. I'm then planning to make a fool of myself at Baltic Wharf.
Regards,
Simon.
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Good stuff, look foreward to seeing it on the water.
I have a lot of time for the old holt drums and they are efficient for the kicker, the only downside of them in the kicker application is that they do not release as quickly as a lever, but they give you a 12:1 purchase ratio and are very compact. They control just about every function on my FD as Pattison swore by them and I see no reason to swap them out for heavier multi purchase systems.
GBR74 ex custodian of
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Thanks for that info.
Is it going to be OK if I simply have the the wire or spectra anchored on the boom, then down to the block on the mast, then fed back up to block let into the boom, then to the winder inside the boom.
I'm looking forward to getting out asap...I need to balance the jobs list against getting on the water!
Regards,
Si
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I've got a wheel kicker on my Bruder woooden rig. The wire goes round a block at the mast and back to the spindle. the take off from the drum goes to a spilt control line so the drum power is multiplied by 4. It seems to work very well.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Thanks for that Peter.
I've rigged the boom with some spectra to try it, works well. However, I'll also get a length of wire to try the same. I'd probably be a tad more confident of wire! If I get some of the "soft" wire, what diameter would you recommend?
Cheers and thanks,
Simon
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I would advise against wire, my systems on the FD work far better by using Marlow D12 or V12 and it is easy to splice. Look on the Marlow site for specs and you will see that you can use 4mm to give you better strength for your money without the need for tulrits etc.
GBR74 ex custodian of
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'd agree. The wire is the worst part of a drum in my view and if high strength lines had been around earlier they probably wouldn't have gone out of fashion so quickly.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Thanks guys.
Back to my original request, I missed out on Nessa's combi, so I'm still looking if anyone knows of anything about.
Regards,
Simon