Laser spares.

Post your requirements here
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
has anyone got some old laser stuff cluttering up their garage, anything might be useful please give me a call

Steve 01784251288.
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Daggerboard

but to be honest I was planning on putting it up on e-bay shortly....

you can either make me an offer....or I will put in up this sunday with a nice low starting price and we can see what happens.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi Ed,

is it a modern type or an origional wooden one?

Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

FOFL

Fraid I didn't even realise there was every any wooden parts on a laser except that horrible tiller some of the early ones had.

This one is plastic....not in great shape, has a small chunk out of trailing edge.

I never thought we would have a conversation about the 'classic' aspects of a laser....just goes to show.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Laser had a great laminated centerboard and matching rudder - all a bit long in the tooth now, but were very pretty, unlike the rest of the boat... They had wooden grab rails, too, and it is thanks to the old wood tiller that you now have the daft situation of mega expensive carbon tillers on a one design boat!
Rupert
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,

I have an old wooden one if anyone would like to puta classic laser together

Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,

not worried if I have to repair centreboard, how does £30 sound?

Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I never thought we would have a conversation about the 'classic' aspects of a laser....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

and so the rot sets in.......:twisted:

a classic in so many ways...marketing being the best, the rest I'm afraid are negatives - obviously that is my opinion, and what do I know?![:p]
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

.........but marketing sometimes works against you. vis: the 'counterfeit' sails now being used by Laser sailors. At my club a row has broken out about the legality of these. Club rules say boats "shall conform to the class rules", and of course the Laser rules don't permit these sails. But they are less than half price. Someone told me that Laser sailors in the US can get sails from two suppliers so there is competition, and the price is therefore lower. But one of those suppliers is Hyde, in the UK. So we have a situation where UK built sails are legal in the US, but not in the UK.

Regards

Nick
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

I know several clubs that have amended the rules to allow non-class rule sails, as long as they 'measure', specifically for this purpose. The sails have to made from the 'same' cloth etc. but do cost a great deal less !!:oops:

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

At whitefriars, most OODs wouldn't have much of an idea that the sail wasn't the right one, anyway, so I suppose it would be up to another competitor to protest. This hasn't happened, and I doubt it will, unless someone started using a fake that was so much faster than the original that it was winning everything! Most fakes appear to be slower. Doesn't Hyde make the real Laser sail? So presumebly the sails available in the US are by the US maker and the UK maker, so are both "real" sails. How much to re-import them to the UK again and undercut Laser?
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

I don't expect you are allowed to re-import. I tried to with my Tasar, but I HAD to give a sail number, and of course an address and with those two pieces of information they declined to sell me one. I rekon it would have been much cheaper. You couldn't even get a sail from the sailmaker, you had to go through the class association.

My supernova is the same actually, sails have to come from the class association, and from one sailmaker, but the difference is that the sails are not too badly priced and are made of a decent material, unlike the laser and tasar!:o

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

make bow waves not chat
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,

you can buy laser bits from the usa and they do a larger range of accessories than uk suppliers, unfortunately you are limited to £18 value due to uk customs. All laser parts are a rip off anyway, the only get away with it because they abuse the restricted class status

Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

If anybody wants used boat parts such as laser parts from the USA, I can package and ship smaller parts such as rigging screws rudders tillers etc..
These can be sent via UPS (united parcel service). Right now the exchange rate of the Pound against the Dollar is quite good and the parts are relatively cheap. note that I said relatively, they are not really cheap in fact they are expensive.But there you are.
Brian Evans
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
I often buy small laser parts from the usa, the fixed rate $9 priority global mail envelope works best

Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331