Boom needed for a Finn!

Post your requirements here
Howlin

Boom needed for a Finn!

Post by Howlin »

Fello Finn sailors lend me your brains.....!

If any one has a spare boom (Needlespar) that they may consider parting with could you let me know, or if you have spotted something elsewhere could you also give me a shout. I'm having the devil's own job rigging the one with my Elvstrom and the gooseneck end is looking a bit battered anyway! Failing that are any of you going to Baltic Wharf in April, if so, could I be cheeky and ask if someone could give me a hand to sort this out.
Regards and thanks in advance,
Simon.
neil
Site Admin

Re: Boom needed for a Finn!

Post by neil »

There's one for sale on the Finn site

http://www.activeinternetsupport.co.uk/ ... 8bf2d5a4f9

What problems are you having as I'm sure we can probably sort it out?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Hi Neil,
Firstly I'm trying to run the spectra through the boom for the kicking strap and it's proving a nightmare. However I try to get a wire or line through the hole in the axle of the wheel it is proving impossible! Any suggestions welcome! I could always make it a continuous system and lead it through the deck to blocks at the mast foot and then out to the side decks..using a block purchase system between the boom and the mast?
The end of the boom is however showing signs of having had better days and it may be better to replace the boom anyway. My main concern really is not to over stress the old girl, the thought of sailing at Baltic Wharf with everyone for the first time and sinking is not a pleasant thought..even though I do enjoy a laugh (that's what I got the canoe off Stu for!)
Regards and thanks for your time,
Simon.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

The usual method is to use a lever, and there should be no need to run any part of the kicker through the boom. The tuning guide shows the way to rig it

http://www.finnclass.org/Manual/manualpics/rigpage1.gif

The full manual is here http://www.finnclass.org/Manual/

jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I have a similar problem - not threading kicker system, but the outhaul. I pulled the wire once, and the tail of the out-haul went fully into the boom. There is obviously meant to be a 4:1 in there, but now I only have 2:1 and can not work out how to re-thread it. Probably one of the blocks is fixed to the kicker lever pivot - but with no x-ray eyes I can not quite work it out. Still sailable though...
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
LarFinn

Post by LarFinn »

Ref your outhaul, my Finn boom is actually two ends patched together so I can't run the outhaul purchase inside the boom as "standard". I have a single line running through the boom which emerges between the kicker and mainsheet and then a series of blocks hanging under the boom give the purchase before the line goes to the boom end and down to the deck before being split to each side.
It seems to work perfectly fine, although it isn't as "tidy" as an internal system. I can get a picture if it would help?

Andi
Andi

Finn GBR75
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Simon,
unless your boom is really seriously damaged, I would sugest repairs, they do not often come onto the secondhand market as they are a one off to Finn's and although boats change hands without their masts a lot, the booms always stay with the boat. After saying that there is a used one on the Finn Forum but you are looking at £200. The Needlespar which is what I think you have is now supplied by Suntouched, see the Finn Forum for details, and when they were supplied from Warsash by David Hunt you could get a repair piece for the pin end, this should still be available.
Threading spectra through the axle of a winch drum will provide hours of entertainment !!! believe me I know, there are eight on my FD. the trick is to use a piece of gardening or siezing wire to pull it through rather than push it. If necessary even drill the hole through the axle a little larger but remember to file the burrs.
If you go to the Tuning area of the Finn Forum you will see listed the old Finn tuning hand book available for £2.50, this is what Neil has attached above. Also very usefull is the book 'Finnatics' which is a mine of info along with its predecessor 'Finnlog' these publications are both out of print but there are copies out there and are well worth chasing.
Failing any of the above, PM or call me and I will try to assist.
Even if not sailing I will try to get to Baltic Wharfe and we can always sort it out on the day.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

If you are threading any of these braided ropes pushing makes them fatter as the braid opens out. Depending on the length you have to thread just heat the end in a gas flame and roll the melted bit before threading it. It will harden and it might help.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

seeing Gary's post reminded me how I led the outhaul on the Fairey as this had to led up from the mastfoot, into the boom and onto the outhaul purchase every time the boat was rigged as there was no way of leading the outhaul the other way due to the boat not having any deck hatches.

I used 3mm with fed through the sheeve block at the mast end, flicked the end out, tied a shackle to the end and put it back in the boom. Then raised the boom for the shackle to work it's way down. Using D12 for the outhual purchase meant that once the 3mm popped out the outhaul end I could go back to the mast end and insert the 3mm into the D12 with a couple of pieces of tape on the 'splice' to stop the D12 rucking up. It was then a case of pulling the 3mm through from the outhaul end taking the D12 with it. Easier to show than describe!

alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Last time I need to rethread my boom systems I struggled for several hours and then lost my temper. After sitting down and thinking about it calmly, I came to the concluesion that the lines were hooking up on the ends of the pop rivits. Solution drilled out all pop rivits. Lines ran in easily then replaced pop rivits job done in less than an hour.
Best of Luck
Al
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Hi all,
Thank you to everyone for your advice.
I've just cracked it..got the spectra through...got the boat rigged...got the kciking strap the right length....a result!
I've just provided my wife with 21/2hours of lively entertainment in the cool but welcome sunshine in my back garden!
All I've got to do now is put the boat back on my catamaran trailer and get up to Merthyr Tydfil sailing club and put her in our overflowing reservoir and get sailing....next weekend...yippee!...or, do I put the IC in the water and start my swimming for the year?!
Thanks again,
Simon.
fatboyfinn

Post by fatboyfinn »

Outhaul Threading....

I have always built the whole thing outside the boom with long tails on the blocks and then you can draw the whole lot inside - bit wasteful in string but you won't lose your temper. Also, get a good understanding of what is going on in there.

Andy

PS Larfinn that was my boat and that outhaul system was another solution to the problem. Worked anyway.How is Larfinn? Also, I think I was
an early user of the centre main - Ben who.....