Merlin rocket

Post your requirements here
chris

Re: Merlin rocket

Post by chris »

Ref. built in rolled tanks on early merlins.
Page 123 of the merlin Rocket book top photo shows a ribbed Chippendale merlin 1940's in construction before the ply decking is attached but all the struts for the decks are there. it looks like the fore, aft and side decks will make one sealed compartment. Any thoughts AG, DH etc?
It reminds me of the way Shoestring (R's Hornet) is made which has bags within similar compartments.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

God, I wish my Merlin book hadn't walked off....

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Chris they never went right down, I think that boat was Cirrus by the way.

Built in tanks were banned from about 1949 (After the O'brien Kennedy smooth skin double bottomed boat) untill the spring of 1966 when Tony Lane had a bulkhead glassed into 1926 as a authorised experiement we passed it as a rule at the AGM at Weymouth later in the year, in 1967 I retrofitted a bulkhead to "Beat Nik" 1523 as part of her final 3 months in my ownership and part of the rig experimentation for the new boat it was so succesful I nearly kept her along with the new boat, and then I needed to buy an engagement ring! Historically though David Dyer did have bulheads with very big holes in them front and rear on his Mk 6 909 "Suspense" that he filled with oversize bags it did not catch on as a concept. Stern and side tanks though played with, never caught on to this day.
Simples.