Rupert

Re: Merlin Rocket bits - 950

Post by Rupert »

Hence the name "Marconi rig".
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have a plastic heavyweight cover for Secret Water from Waveloft. Hard wearing certainly but not breathable and I found that the fasteners were easy but a bit fragile. So ---- I bought a poly/cotton cover from Rain and Sun for Gannet having seen the one made by them on Neil's Finn. I like the fact that there is no centre join and the fasteners are so easy to fix. They do tailor made covers - they have a measurement sheet. It's three years old now and has faded a bit but otherwise the stitching is 100% perfect and it fits like a glove. Not the cheapest but well worth the money. I am sure Neil would concur.

http://www.rainandsunshop.co.uk/cart/in ... &Submit=Go

You can also search their website for the measurement form.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I'll try and get a picture of it uploaded this weekend.

Its in a pile down the side of the house, as I have been more focused on the deck.

However the top diamond wires seem quite slack. So it will be out with the wd40 and then a general clean of the mast and boom and tighten up and retape of the wires, etc.

I will probably put the boat together, initially as a 2 sail boat and just get used to her. I will add the spinnaker gear at a later date, but by the end of the summer. I have twinning lines on my Miracle, AG seemed to indicate that they were a good idea on the MRs as well.

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
jon711

Post by jon711 »

jon711 wrote:Stephen,

It would be lovely to see this diamond, any chance you could upload some overalls??

Jon
I (misunderstood again!!) meant that I, (and I'm sure all of us!!) would like to see pictures of your new delight - not just the diamonds....

Jon
Stephen Hawkins

Cant upload a piccy

"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Sorry

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

jon711

Post by jon711 »

Try reducing the size of the picture...

Not sure how you do it, but there have been previous comments before..

Try a search on the site, I think that, you may find the answer....

Jon
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Cant upload a piccy

"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Sorry

Steve H

This may need some looking into......

I will do so as soon as I can

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

You should be able to post images again now.....

but please do keep them small......and/or put them somewhere else like Flickr or PhotoBucket and then just provide a link to them.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Stephen Hawkins

Well,

4 coats of G4. However I think the heat of today has affected the G4, is it seem a bit 'gritty'. Great for a non slip finish, but not so good on deck. However I think I will be able to flatten down and varnish it later in the week when it has hardened off.

I also stepped the mast today and got all confused. The mast is an Proctor G2, and unforunately has seen plenty of the seaside - as has the boom. But my real issue is with the jib and the kicker:

Kicker - There is a 4 inch wheel arrangement that has a rope fitted to it so that when you pull the rope it pulls the kicker wire that is mounted on the same shaft. I have never seen this arrangement and am wondering, is there a handle or something? Or am I missing something?

Jib Halyard - I have a Highfield lever fitted to the mast that I assume is for the jib. However, as mentioned before the pulley at the top, that is a part of the forstay is crook, with a knackered sheave - I will have to order a new sheave tommorrow (1 and 3/8 inches or 35mm aprox). Also, should there be a wire for the jib to put onto the Highfield lever? - If so, then it is missing. I will post some picture tommorrow if I can

Chris the distance between the pintal and gudgeon is 133mm (or 5 and 3/4 inches) I have just stripped my rudder/tiller/blade so that I cand sand/repair/varnish them.

Steve
Steve Hawkins

roger

Post by roger »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:Well,

Kicker - There is a 4 inch wheel arrangement that has a rope fitted to it so that when you pull the rope it pulls the kicker wire that is mounted on the same shaft. I have never seen this arrangement and am wondering, is there a handle or something? Or am I missing something?

Steve
Steve

No your not missing something . The rope should run to somewhere convenient and a cleat. These systems are horrible and we replaced the one on the Hornet with a Cascade as soon as possible. i always found i had wound the wire the wrong way or it all jumps off and got tangled around the shaft. Best place is the recylce bin.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I have a drum kicker on my Finn wooden rig and it works absolutely fine. I've taken the take off to a 2:1 purchase. You can replace the original wire primary part with a modern synthetic but I haven't needed to do that.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

As Peter says absolutely nothing wrong with the drum winches most modern Dragons use them (Bgger than dinghy.) for kickers and jib haliyards I never had any problems with mine in 15 years of dinghies Rodeney Pattison even used them for adjusting the shrouds on the first Superdocious. (The Acapulco boat.)
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I think they are a bit of an 'acquired' taste :) Have had them and used them, but never really liked them myself.

the ones that I have used, have an automatic 'catch' to lock them. the rope goes through a stainless 'catch' that is lifted by raising the rope. When the rope is brought down, it engages the catch with a series of raised 'tabs' on the back of the drum. So you raise and pull the rope to increase load then pull it down to engage.

Hope that helps.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Stephen Hawkins

All,

As far as the kicker is concerned I can see it is a bit of 'marmite' setup - you either like it or hate it.

And as far as this project is concerned, I am hoping to operate the Merlin 'as is'. So I will give it a chance.....A stay of execution, as it where.

I am still trying to get her ready for this weekend, as it is the South Cerney Sailing Club Regatta, and I would like to show her off. As long as she floats. But it is going to be tight. I think I will be down there Friday night putting her together....and I don't just mean stepping the mast! Still, if I am still putting her together it will be to the amusement of the plastic bottle sailors....Who just do not seem to understand, that for some, there is more to sailing dinghies than just sailing....

And at this rate I will be hoisting my jib with the spinnaker halyard. But two sails is a good start.....

Anyhoo, must get on. I hope to be paying Rupert a visit tonight to rifle his stash of useful bits..... :wink:

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins