Paint & Flaps

share hints, tips and experiences
Trevor C

Paint & Flaps

Post by Trevor C »

Ive been trying to get info on this - ICI Polyurethane 383 mix - Lido Blue P383/0885 with little joy. The hull of J9 has been painted with it.

There are two small areas that need repainting - assuming I could get near colour wise what paint should I use?

I do not like the transom flaps either, any ideas

Thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/tchanter/J9 ... 7037246962
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Steve Bailey

Re: Paint & Flaps

Post by Steve Bailey »

Trevor,
My GP14 (1831) had really tatty transom flaps when I bought her, I took them off and made some out of marine ply with hinges along the top edge. Had to make sure they didn't extend right down to the hull though in case they counted as an illegal extension to the length of the hull. They look loads better than a bit of perspex and elastic.
I have also in the past just refaced the transom with a sheet of 1/4 inch marine ply, but we didn't race that boat so didn't have to worry about increasing the overall hull length.
As for the paint, if ICI don't make that mix any more I think you'll have to ask them if it was single or two part, then bite the bullet and repaint the whole 18 foot of her with a similar type of paint of a similar colour. You'll never get an exact match. I've noticed this even with tins of the same paint when it comes to patching up the dents bangs and scratches you inevitably get from racing in a narrow river.
All the best
Steve
scott robinson

Post by scott robinson »

Sorry, nothing to do with your topic. I was looking at your pictures and wondering why you installed the supports/braces on the floors?

Scott
J197
Montreal
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I quite like the idea....I don't know whether it works....but if it does I really like the idea!

the problem is that the Jollyboat really suffers from twisting due to not being really stiff enough. It was always a problem. the Fairey Hulls were stiffer than the plastic Tanzercraft hulls which had the reputation of being overweight and also very soft.

I know that a lot of early FDs had/have the same problem.

But being thin with enormous rigs and lots of weight hanging out to keep flat there is quite a big twisting action on the hulls.

This is not helped by the hulls having quite large areas of unsupported hull under foot. The glue sticking the veneers together was an aerolite type glue and does not really last longer than 35 years or so. This does not appear to be much of a problem in a smaller boat like the Firefly, but in a Jollyboat it does mean that the hull, (especially under foot) does suffer from the veneers coming a bit un-stuck. This does not mean that the hull falls apart....but it can effect stiffness.

For instance, sometimes in a low wind on a run I sit on the hull bottom with one foot on the side decks and one on the c-board case. Even in low winds, I can feel the hull move and flex under me.

Now I don't know if these stiffeners will work.....but I remember discussing them with the builder and it does hopefully help.

For me.....one day....when I have the time and money....I will re-build a Jollyboat with a low crewdeck or false floor that follows the line of the bottom of the side tanks, feathering into the hull at approx the end of the board case. This should make the boat totally self-bailing (except for a few litres) It would also mean no heavy feet on bottom of hull (well most of it) and also hopefully stiffen the boat up nicely. With the allowed high mast height, there would be plenty of room. It would also make it less of an effort to get out of the boat and onto the wire.

Anyway....that's my thoughts.

eib

ps Scott.....have a look at the new Jollyboat pages at: http://www.cvrda.org/jollyboat/
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Thanks for that Ed, by the way how do we post on the new sub site? Do you think some of the photos on my google photos page should be added, perhaps from the Boat Museum?

I think the stiffeners do make a difference but I have never sailed without them. I have not noticed any hull twist. I am so used to them that JBs seem odd without them and as yet I have not tripped over them.

At the moment J9 is in my garage, with 6 inches to spare, with stripped decks, awaiting G4 followed by a few coats of varnish.

Flaps - I am tempted to fill them in with totally. They are sealed anyway and follwoing a capsize it is so hard to get going so they would be ineffective, bailing is much quicker.
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May