Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting. 8th Feb

Chat about CVRDA events
Nigel

Re: Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting. 8th Feb

Post by Nigel »

Hi Michael,

I thould it was Lord Charles (assisted by Ray Allen) but there is probably a tradition of titled pieces of wood on BBC radio. I think though we should ban Orville impersonations from any protest :D

my normal handicap is trying to fit 18 + stone into a boat designed to perform well carrying half that - but that is really my problem and not one that should trouble the handicappers :) .

It is a good question though. It would seem unfair to burden the race officer on the day with trying to sort it all, particularly with the lost classes (we are guests after all) out so do we need to do some pre-work?

I will start the ball rolling with the following input

Beachcomber - the only record I can find is from Burrett (1974) giving 110 which was the same as the Minisail at the time

Pisces - Both Burrett (1974) and Boat World Guide No.1 (Not dated but early 70's) have it at 103 which is the same as a Graduate in those books.

Does anyone have the resources to confirm these and roll these back to a datum point of 1965 or whatever else we are going to use? The reason I said that last bit was that it may make the race officer's job easier if we convert to 4 digit numbers (particularly if we share a start). Modern PYs are a club one of 1288 for the Beachcomber (same as a Topper) and 1167 for the Beachcomber based on the modern Graduate one.

Feel free to dispute any of the above :?

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nigel, don't worry about confusing the race officer - he is just going to take the times and pass them on to me to figure out. You have the same books as me, by the way, and I quite agree the Pisces should be off 103. I used to sail the Minisail off 107 as I felt 110 would have been a bit laughable, but for the Beachcomber with a Lateen rig I think we should try it. It is also down as that in Percy Blandford's book. With Roger sailing the boat it could turn out to be a bandit! The Tonic was 124 when thew Firefly was, so a simple transltion puts it on 100. MB singlehanded in the Firefly will get a point knocked off, at 99. The Skol Moth will be off 100, but with a 2 point bonus for the original sail, giving it 102. A GRP Topper will be off the standard 115. Any other rare beasts coming to play?

I've also had a piece about the event put up on Yachts and Yachting.com
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

[quote="Rupert"] With Roger sailing the boat it could turn out to be a bandit! /quote]

What is this pick on Roger day :cry: . I will remind you Rupert that when I last sailed singlehanded in the British Moth at Chippenham you soundly thrashed me every race. As I have never seen a Beachcomber and dont know what I have let myself in for I think you should give me more time to become aquainted and as its someone elses boat I will be treating it with the respect she (and Nigel)deserves.

Looking forward to the event and hoping for some breeze.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It was a complement...must remember not to do that again!
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

Rupert - that all sounds pretty good. If anyone wins by too much we can always double their handicap for the next race :) .

Roger - as I said the Beachcomber is an acquired taste. The combination of lateen rig with a(n optional) jib gives rise to some strange moments trying to get the jib past the point of the lateen. She does not point too close to windward but considerably better on one tack than the other because of the sidedness of the rig/mast. She can be slow to tack on just the Main with my weight in it but the jib gives the option of backing to pull the front round. The plus points are that she can be sailed easily in F6s upwards as the centre of effort in the sail is so low so she is very stable for a narrow boat and she can surprise everyone on a run (14knts!)as the lateen sail area is pretty big and the hull seems surpisingly efficient.

I really enjoy sailing her but never expect to win anything.

Nigel
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I'm afraid that in a fit of pre-season madness (inspired by an imminent move to Cambridge) I have signed up for the TT at Rutland. Should anyone wish to risk ye olde phantome she is currently at the in laws in Hertford, complete with trolley, trailer and a soon to be adapted L4000 undercover. If anyone is interested let me know.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

have never heard nor seen a Nymph. Sung about them and shepherds many years ago as a choirboy but we wont go there.
Of course...Nymphs and Shepherds (come away) - nothing like a touch of Henry Purcell to live things up (shall I try it on the start line instead of a lusty chorus of "up, up, up you ****er") Who was it? The Manchester Boys choir? Finished the singing and the Orchestra finished two bars later!

Ah well..... did someone say that there could be a Whitefriars boat needing a stick whiggler??????

BTW,John, Have got your spinni pole!

D

Will the prospect of a little lite chamber music bring the Orpheus of Gosport(surely the Underworld if ever such a place exists breathing fire and yet more classics for us?)
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sorry, forgot to say,

Rupert, a brill posting on the Y&Y site! Fingers crossed that a few more oldies (boats that it) spring from the woodwork.

D
David H
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Practicing!! I was merely trying to beat my sons sailing their toppers. I did, to - although not by much.

Dave (OOD for the day last Sunday) has some good still photos - but not of the alleged incident of the centerboard. Sadly, they show that I was not hiking hard enough - but the Finn was telling me that all the time anyhow! My legs on the other hand are still telling me (Thursday evening) that I was hiking too hard.

j./
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm sure we can find you a boat, David - I believe the Skol Moth might be looking for a helm, but you'd have to compare builds with John (who manages to fit in her!) to see whether she would be suitable...Otherwise, I will ask around.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

DavidH sang:-
a lusty chorus of "up, up, up you ****er"
He might refine this to an equally robust chorus of the madrigal "Fair Phyllis." Seem that if the Netley Nymph Master might find her feeding her flocks near to the Lake'side.

The chorus for the race might then go "Up and DOWN they wandered, Up and down etc ad lib..."

So david are you heading for the "plutonian shores" of Whitfriars?

...If the boat that we can lend be as beautiful and tender,
as his once and lost contender, Quoth the Raven:-
Nevermore!

(from a lost epic by the eponymous poet "Holt Allen Pro")
Michael Brigg
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Just an attempt to go back to topic (though I doubt it will last for long). Congrats to Rupert for a great article for the Whitefriars event - http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=144918
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
davidh

Post by davidh »

Neil,

I couldn't agree more with your comment about Ruperts promotion of whitefriars.

As for the rest.... well, I guess we all (at least most of us) need to hold our hands up to the occaisional wander off topic, though some more than others.

That said, 'tis the silly season right now, Christmas is over, Easter still months away. There are of course other Forums, where one can converse in text speak with the pre-delinquent owner of a plastic fantastic. For me though, the sharp and often very funny comments one finds on here is part of the fun of the whole thing - and we're getting more 'new' names appearing.

Where else would one find Edgar Allan Poe transformed into Holt Allan Poe????

Brilliant.

D

If your Snark be a Boojum! For then. You will softly and suddenly vanish away
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:It was a complement...must remember not to do that again!
Rupert my apologies must have been feeling a little sensitive yesterday.
Great promotion for the event on Y&Y. Best be a bit careful or you may end up as press officer.

Really looking forward to the 8th but I am not sure that Angie will be there. If you need help in the race box I am sure we can work out a rota between us.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

And I must remember that things are not always read in the same way they are written, especially when one gets annoyed by smilies and so never puts them in :roll:

We have a complete race crew on for the normal Sunday racing, so I hope the only extra things needing doing will be collecting entry fees, heating up soup, working out results and giving out prizes. I hope the tea bar people will be able to help with some of that, and we have a new Commodore, so I at least don't have to dish out the wine anymore!

"If your Snark be a Boojum! For then. You will softly and suddenly vanish away"

Funny reading the above - I'm buying a Snark on Sunday! Not sure what the rest means though...
Rupert