Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting. 8th Feb

Chat about CVRDA events
jpa_wfsc

Re: Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting. 8th Feb

Post by jpa_wfsc »

302 does look interesting! Thanks for trying to get the fusion to WSC but please do not go to excessive trouble doing so!

Looking forward to seeing you there;

john./
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've had no response from the Phantoms following my reply to the post saying that olser sailors don't sail in the winter, so I don't think we will be seeing any of them! I did mention that the Finn sailors who come would probebly have a good laugh that Phantom sailors were scared of a little cold water...
By the sound of it we have 2 Finns, possibly 3 coming? John and Howlin', and Neil, you mentioned it as a possibility a while back? The handicap list has the boat at 90 or 91 depending on vintage, but I think this has been decided on as being a bit harsh? I know when they get going they are pretty damn quick, so I don't want life to be too easy, but what seems fair to those who sail them? Sounds like they are GRP with tin rigs.
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I'm afraid I can't sail at the moment but I was hoping to get the Illusion on the water. In hospital next month having a Finn knee injury sorted out. Should be back on the water in March
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Can't promise for certain, but am colecting the Elvestrom Finn from Falmouth tomorrow and if its posible I'll bring it along, '70's boat Needlespar and dacron sail py1071 in new money.Who knows perhaps I can persuade big Al to come and play too.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It would be great to see lots of Finns battling it out! If we get 3 boats or more I'll add a prize in for the winner.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert.

Is there a spare Finn at the Club. I've got a wig and false 'tash, if I signed in under an alias I could sail one to make up the numbers.....

But then, is that an offer too far????

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sadly there is only 1 Finn in sailable condition at the club, and John will be using it. There is an Ent I could borrow for you if you like, though? 1959 vintage, but with nice crisp sails?
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert

Sorry I will not be attending will be at the Scotland V Wales Rugby International. Also at the present time have still not recovered from being knocked down by a BMW Z6 driver whilst crossing the road. Left knee is giving alot of pain and I can only lift my right arm level with my shoulder. Hope event goes well.
Al Finn 424 etc.
Last edited by alan williams on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

If only you'd known earlier to say...
båd BMW Z6 driver holde klar af!!
..who knows? :(
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ouch...blooming beemer drivers. Hope you recover soon.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Rupert,
There was a discussion a few years ago about Finn handicaps and since then we've been sailing off 91 for a classic, 92 for an old and 94 for a wooden mast (although mine's the only one I've seen). I'm not sure how accurate these are, all I know is that in over 35 years of sailing Finns (on and off) I've never been able to beat a well sailed Albacore and their CVRDA handicap is 94, at least this is one area where I'm better off sailing on modern handicaps (Albacore and Finn both on 1066).

Sorry I cannot be with you on 8th, might be at Hoo Freezer in Laser, have fun.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Peter.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just over a week to go! Long range weather forecast looks good, so time to check the trailer over, glue the boat back together, learn to sail (delete as applicable) and come along to Whitefriars. Actually, the learning how to sail bit can be done there, if you like!
I'll be trying a bit of an experiment with the Tonic decks, to try and stop me going straight through them - 9mm UPVC board stuck over the top. Should look delightful, but better than shards of GRP through the wetsuit in painful places!
Is this a cvrda first? It is lighter than plywood, too - has anyone built a boat out of it, ever? A sort of DIY Pico, I suppose!
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert Said:
- has anyone built a boat out of it, ever?
:idea: Here's another idea...

Around about the time of the first "Carbon fibre" Rowing VIII (which was @1980 I think) someone at The United Hospital Bumps races revived an old wrecked VIII whose single laminate hull was full of splits for their rugby Club VIII by covering it from stem to stern with a long sheet of Fablon. :D You may recall this came in floral patterns on a roll and could be used to "modernise" an old pine table or welsh dresser in the style of the sixties. :cry:

The Black coulored Prototype British VIII won a silver medal in the world championship, a real publicity coup for Carbocraft who later built quite a few Tornado hulls. The Boat was known as the "Carbon Tiger." In sunshine it suffered from heat due to the black coulor and tended to warp. Later hulls were all white.

The UH bumps VIII called itself "Fablon Tiger" but the construction sadly did not catch on. Perhaps the Rugby VIII were less able to cash in on publicity, and I'm afraid I don't know what became of that prototype.

Perhaps "Fablon Tonic" might do better, or given the "Frostie" nature of the meeting, "Tonyc Tiger!" :lol: :lol:

If we hear a crunching noise on the roll tack we'll know "Theyyyrr Grrrrrreat!!" :twisted:
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:Just over a week to go! Long range weather forecast looks good, so time to check the trailer over, glue the boat back together, learn to sail (delete as applicable) and come along to Whitefriars. Actually, the learning how to sail bit can be done there, if you like!
Hi Rupert have you got the snowploughs ready and maybe an icebreaker or two :P :lol:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353