Merlin 2805 Phantom Kipper, Aln built for sale

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
jezb

Merlin 2805 Phantom Kipper, Aln built for sale

Post by jezb »

http://picasaweb.google.com/emandjez/Me ... directlink LINK TO PHOTOS

2805 was built by the Aln Boatyard in 1974/ bought by Ian Tinker, named "Blonde on Blonde" & sailed at South Yorkshire SC. Ian sold her in 1982 to the previous owner to me. She was sailed at Huddersfield then put into permanent dry storage from 1986. I bought her summer 2007as I sort of wanted to rescue a perfectly reasonable boat, and I have another Merlin also. I wanted a choice between the two, sailed her on the sea, but for weight reasons, the other Merlin won!

She's perfectly sound all round with a good paintjob (white) and a classic varnish finish. I revarnished her decks & transom following a strip down. Some varnish had lifted along her port deck so she needed it. 9 coats later and she has an almost perfect flat deep glossy finish with plenty of protection and a nice colour for a boat of her age. As she has not been exposed to the weather since the last coat, she would take a few more if you felt it was needed.

She is a Phantom Kipper (the famous good all-rounder design by Phil Morrison - one of the "older designs" so perfectly respectable but a little aged among hot competition!

She's a beam of 6'8" and probably best raced with upto 24 stone. My crew and I are 28 stone up now, and we found ourselves not getting the best out of her, hence the sale. I shall revert to my NSM2. She really is fast upwind as is a sturdy construction, she's fast on the tack and perfectly responsive. We did have the odd unsettling moment downwind in a shift, but then once you;re aware, you're prepared.

She'll come with a decent ish set of sails (clean with some crinkle) plus a spare set. Old rules spinny. Although some fittings are old, I have replaced anything that needed it. Most running lines are new. On a road trailer which is surface rusty but sound, with trailer board. She will be lacking bouyancy bags as I chucked the old ones when she was re-varnished. One transom flap is cracked but repaired just to get her on the water. I also removed a centre traveller and metal vang kicker. in common with most of these older designs she has no hoop or mast ram. She is yours to complete the setting up and tuning to your requirements.

I'm near Hereford. Please email jez@carmenhouse.fsnet.co.uk for more details. Offers