MOGO

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

MOGO

Post by Nessa »

This unidentified sailing object is now in the garden, looking very small next to the contender. I have no idea what it is, but suspect Jim C may be right in that it is a home built project copying something like a moth-toy hybrid.

On the Y&Y forum a complete stranger pm'd me and has offered me the mast, boom, sail, rudder and centreboard from his ancient British Moth, with the suggestion being that I put them all together to make a complete boat. This is a fantastically kind offer - but will it work? My first worry will be that the MOGO needs a dagger board not a centreboard, then I will have to adjust the rudder fittings -or probably replace them as they are bent anyway - on the MOGO to fit the BM rudder assembly.

I reckon I can make the rig fit the boat, probably by using string, not wire and I may also need to change the mast foot fitting on the boat (luckily I have a spare). But what is the end effect likely to be? Am I creating Franken-moth? Will it work?

Also, how long is a BM mast - will I be able to drive from Cardiff to Cambridge with it on the roof of a VW Golf Estate?

Finally, will it qualify as a lost class, or simply a lost cause? :lol:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Re: MOGO

Post by Nessa »

The fittings for the rudder to attach to sit about 4" above the deck:

The side decks curve down to the floor - the whole thing can be no more than 8" deep:

The whole boat is very shallow along its whole length. I will try to get a photo of its bottom!:

Thanks to SteveB for the photos, sorry I didn't have time to pop in!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I would have thought the BM kit would be ideal to get this one going, I would definitely say it is a lost class, its like no Moth I have seen, but so what, others may disagree but Peggies with Bosun and Fireball sails have sailed in CVRDA events so why not this one with BM rig.
What is the true overall length however with a non ebay tape measure, if it is eleven feet it would probably have measured as an International Moth, there were loads of one offs.
To solve your rudder mounting problems look at the gantry affairs as fitted to modern Cherubs, I14's and foiling Moths, something along those lines should suffice.
Exact length of the BM mast someone else can probably tell you, but many years ago my father regularly carried my complete BM including mast on the roof of a Rover 3 litre coupe, so a Golf Estate should be OK.
I often wonder what happened to my old BM sail number 350.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi Nessa,

Are you still thinking of getting the mast on your car top? I'm sure you won't have a problem here.

If this link doesnt work have a look in the thead on "All is Secure" (about 4 pages back in the "boat chat" index) where it does work...

http://www.ara-rowing.org/upload/files/ ... riving.pdf

I suggest you print off this PDF, especially page 122 which gives the chapter and verse on the current "Overhang" legislation for racing boat transportation on UK roads.

The relevant parts are that 1.) overhangs of <1m (Front or back) require nothing other than careful driving, and 2.) Overhangs from 1-2metres must be made "Clearly visible" to drivers approaching from the side and end, usually meaning "a brightly coulored (and/or reflective) rag" (or paint)
At night a WHITE rag is best. (I usually tape a white plastic shopping bag to the end.)

Given that most cars these days are about 3-4metres length, you have between 7-8metres to play with before entering the zone of needing police permission. (48hrs in advance of the traffic movement.)

One of my better finds was the reflective sleeve of a small traffic cone. this can be put on the front of the long load and wont blow back because it is conical, and gives superb night time visability. Otherwise an old reflective cyclists sash is excellent.

Its my guess that what is good for a racing scull is Ok for a mast as well.

It may be useful to keep to show Old Bill if stopped.
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Thanks for that Michael - I will have a look. I always worry about moving masts on their own.

The measurements provided by SteveB for the MOGO are:

Length 12ft 8 inches
Width at widest point 3ft 11 inches
Transom 33 inches wide and 3 inches deep

the bow tapers up quite sharply to about an inch at the tip and the whole boat is very shallow indeed.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Reminds me of a design built for a competiion run by I think Y&Y a old time ago to design and build a boat for under a certain price I think it was £100 but maybe wrong about the amount. You can check this out by asking Y&Y if they have any details of said competition and entries.
Cheers Al Finn424 etc.
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

As I'm having a quiet day I've looked things up and a BM mast is 5.898m and the current Golf estate is 4.556 so you should be okay with a bit of hi vis tape flying from each end Nessa.
GBR74 ex custodian of
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The BM rig on the boat sounds like a great idea, especially if you are going to sail somewhere inland and small. The mast is about 20' long and will be fine on the roof - I put them on ZX estate roofs with no problem.
Looking forward to seeing it sailing soon!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Any thoughts on what I can do about having a centreboard whilst needing a dagger board? Can I adapt it (ie hack it about a bit) or should I attempt to make a dagger board from scratch? if so, what sort of wood should I use and how long should it be?

"Is this a daggerboard I see before me?"

(Lady MacMoth)
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

At the risk of opening the floodgates to innuendo, I think the easiest and cheapest route would be to measure the slot that you have, and have a good look around the dinghy show to see what can be adapted to fit and obtain one secondhand.
GBR74 ex custodian of
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

As if by magic..........................

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mirror-dagger-boa ... 240%3A1318

probably the cheapest solution
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Ha! Yes, I spotted that too. It may well be made to fit.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Nessa

If you are going to Whitefriars I have an old Mirror daggerboard that is looking for new home. In fact if anyone needs them I have most of the bits for Mirror, all except for the hull that is...
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Martin, I might well be pleased to take you up on that, especially since ebay did a security clampdown on me when I tried to bid on the board above - they objected because the description has the word 'dagger' in it. :roll: I think they thought I was trying to buy a knife!

Thank you for the kind offer. :)
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

"Methinks the Lady doth protest to much."

After all you said it first!
"Is this a daggerboard I see before me?"
:shock:

Actually the idea of our ramblings being misconstrued by the security forces has been raised before. As is my habit I included a little reference some way back on the idea of getting the ingredients together for a thermit bomb, simply by mixing the results of smoothing down a pair of old centreplates. (On old Steel one for the Rust,(FeO3) and Aluminium filings from the modern one!)

Perhaps you'd better not go to Ally pally on the tube! :shock:
Michael Brigg