Lazy E info

an area to discuss dinghy developments
GraemeS

Lazy E info

Post by GraemeS »

Hi
I have just bought a Lazy E (221) from ebay. The previous owner has stripped the deck and taken it all back to bare wood. I have the rather more interesting task of putting it back together.
If anyone has any information about this boat in particular, year it was built for example, or the class in general, I would be very grateful.

It has a spinnaker, would it have had a chute or a bag?
It had a double skinned floor with foam in between, was this a standard feature that I should put back?
There is a deck and storage locker at the stern, again, was this standard?

Thanks in advance.
LarFinn

Re: Lazy E info

Post by LarFinn »

Hi,

I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who know the Lazy E and will be able to help and plenty more with advice about putting it back together.

My 1974 Guide to Classes has a comment about the Lazy E which says "Variations in interior arrangements and cockpit fittings allowed." I suspect you can replace the current arrangement, or adapt it to suit yourself.
Andi

Finn GBR75
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi GraemeS, welcome to the clubhouse.

You may find the discussion informative, but not always untangential.

I put Lazy E into the forum search facility and they are all over the place. Including this bit of fun....possibly in the boat identification section of the forum. :roll: .
Too LazyE or not too LazyE...?
there is the question.
Weather tis nobler to Lark arround in Enterprises, or to Enterprise in a Lark..."

(my Girlfriends fault, 1976ish!!)
Stand up jpa-wfsc and tell us what this is about!!

Thers other stuff as well, mostly about being big down under :shock: (Talking Geographically here) so I suppose that might be regarded as lost by some.
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

The Lazy E from what I know(which isnt very much) was introduced to replace the outdated GP14 :shock: :? . I think they were more successful down under than here.

Just my 2d
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Michael Brigg wrote:Hi GraemeS, welcome to the clubhouse.

You may find the discussion informative, but not always untangential.
Too LazyE or not too LazyE...?
there is the question.
Weather tis nobler to Lark arround in Enterprises, or to Enterprise in a Lark..."

(my Girlfriends fault, 1976ish!!)
Stand up jpa-wfsc and tell us what this is about!!
Now that really would be telling! Save that in the end, she and her enterprise went to live in Salcombe, and I stayed in the Coteswolds.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

My Blandford Bible tells me:

"In many ways this can be regarded as a larger version of the Enterprise. The shape is generally similar and the plywood version is built the same way. There is less rocker in the bottom.....The double chine hull has fore and side decks. the centreboard case is braced by a thwart. there may be another thwart farther aft. There may be handles on the sides of the foredeck. Reserve buoyancy is under a double bottom.

Rig is straightforward, but the spinnaker is unusual in being flatter cut than miost used on other classes. A trapeze is permitted (there is a pic of one with a trapeze being used) The tiller passes therough a slot in the transom and the main sheet is taken from the end of the boom to a track on the transom.

The Lazy E is used as a family general purpose boat. A camping cover can be fitted....."

Hope this helps. I can get her indoors to scan the pic when she gets back from setting fire to girl guides.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Chris 249

Post by Chris 249 »

Try the class website;

http://www.nationale.org.au/

They changed the interesting "Lazy E" tag to the boring "National E" name a while back. It's not really a national class these days.
GraemeS

Post by GraemeS »

Nessa wrote:My Blandford Bible tells me:

"In many ways this can be regarded as a larger version of the Enterprise. The shape is generally similar and the plywood version is built the same way. There is less rocker in the bottom.....The double chine hull has fore and side decks. the centreboard case is braced by a thwart. there may be another thwart farther aft. There may be handles on the sides of the foredeck. Reserve buoyancy is under a double bottom.

Rig is straightforward, but the spinnaker is unusual in being flatter cut than miost used on other classes. A trapeze is permitted (there is a pic of one with a trapeze being used) The tiller passes therough a slot in the transom and the main sheet is taken from the end of the boom to a track on the transom.

The Lazy E is used as a family general purpose boat. A camping cover can be fitted....."

Hope this helps. I can get her indoors to scan the pic when she gets back from setting fire to girl guides.
Thanks, pics would be very useful, the Australian website mentioned is good for info but short on useful pictures.
GraemeS

Post by GraemeS »

Chris 249 wrote:Try the class website;

http://www.nationale.org.au/

They changed the interesting "Lazy E" tag to the boring "National E" name a while back. It's not really a national class these days.
I had looked at this site previously and not found a lot. I had another look when you suggested it and found the newsletters. Lots of useful stuff in them, including an interview with Jack Holt from 83.
For instance, I had no idea that the E used a standard Ent mast and sails, although sails are different colour. Also a stack of rigging stuff which will be handy.

Thanks
GraemeS

Post by GraemeS »

roger wrote:The Lazy E from what I know(which isnt very much) was introduced to replace the outdated GP14 :shock: :? . I think they were more successful down under than here.

Just my 2d
Looking at the Australian site mentioned it seems they are still going strong although they had a bit of a worrying period a couple of years ago.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I can get her indoors to scan the pic when she gets back from setting fire to girl guides.

Strikes me that whatever it is we should encourage your ebay urges in the interests of the Milton Keynes Guiding movment!! :lol:

BTW did you know Bear Gryllis is the new Chief Scout!
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

here's the blasted photo. it's take n a ridiculous amount of time to do this because i am technicqally incoherehtn
Attachments
lazy e.JPG
(188.83 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Michael Brigg wrote:
I can get her indoors to scan the pic when she gets back from setting fire to girl guides.

Strikes me that whatever it is we should encourage your ebay urges in the interests of the Milton Keynes Guiding movment!! :lol:

BTW did you know Bear Gryllis is the new Chief Scout!
WARNING: OFF TOPIC POST!

We do know about Bear Grylls. She flew into a rage yesterday because on tv he lit a fire first go with a steel and flint. She has not yet mastered the art. Given the number of wooden boats littering the house and grounds this may be a good thing.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

EFOT - cvrda exists to keep the boats wet - or at least. damp. So yours should be save from the Grylis with matches..
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Picture taken at Burnham on Crouch sailed by AG & the late Peter Bateman, it was a dog of a boat by comparison with The Enterprise, The FD or the Merlin Rocket, Hornet or even the very young Fireball, which were our usual convayances at this time given time to sort it may have been better. I think Beecher Moore persuaded Jack Holt to do it as a rival to the Fireball, but Peter Milnes design Bill Kempner and Jack Chippendales dedication and a very keen class association ensured the right boat won that race!
It was not a pretty boat which most succesful classes are!
Thank you for posting this picture Nessa another lost picture for my archive.
Simples.