Oulton Week 2010

Chat about CVRDA events
jon711

Oulton Week 2010

Post by jon711 »

Please post your intentions to compete, or any other queries on this thread. We seem to have 6 confirmed entries already. Nearer the time I can provide directions. Please do not use the club house postcode that will take you to the wrong place..... You will need the dinghy park..

Jon
JB9

Re: Oulton Week 2010

Post by JB9 »

I aim to go for at least part of the week, hopefully with J9. There is another Jollyboat on the broads and I will try and get in touch with him.
Harrier 25
505 7163
jon711

Post by jon711 »

To answer David H's question regarding starts at Oulton Week. I do feel that you may have been communicating with our clubs Honourable Secretary. He did put the suggestion forward that to not split the fleet would have the possiblity of an old Oppie starting with an I14. There could be an issue with the likes of Norfolk Dinghies (PY about 130ish) and I14's (But, as the two classes are related, I would pay to watch this!). But I don't really see an option, we do not have space in the schedule to fit in two starts for the CVRDA.
At the moment the plan is for CVRDA start in the morning. Dinnertime series, join in with the fast and slow handicap dinghies, and an afternoon CVRDA race.

I would hope that common sense will prevail, and that we will not have to put a handicap limit on entrys. There will be absoloulty no advantage in having a very slow boat, as when the other boats have finished, the slower boat may still have two laps to do, while sitting in the windshadow of River Cruisers racing.. (And believe me, if you have sat to leeward of Madie, windshadow goes no where near to describing the experience - wind void may be nearer the case!)

Can I please discourage, David H from turning up with an Oppie if he thinks it could be a handicap bandit (Although I'm sure it would give us all a laugh!!)

And of course, on the Friday we have the WORLD FAMOUS Bloodbath Trophy at dinnertime. Although this is not quite what it was after an Oppie called Starboard on Storm a 35ft Cruiser. I remember seeing Storm's crew pull the youngster out of the boat as they sailed over it!! Cruisers can not now take part, but any other boat (or windsurfer!) can. A great race, with the best turnout for a single race all week (I seem to recall seeing over 50 entries for this race one year!)

And another highlight of the week may be seeing AG in the Pensioners Plate. Entry is for keelboat owners over a certain age, and sailed in Access dinghies (I think, either Tuesday or Thursday evening). Of course Wednesday night is the boat shed disco (For the younger ones amongst us). Buy a ticket, and once in all drinks are free!! Believe it or not, but one year in the dim and distant past, I was a bouncer for this do (although at 5ft 8 and 8 1/2 stone - then, those were the days- not a very effective one!!)

Jon
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Just realised that my shameless plugging for Oulton Week, is starting to sound like a McDonalds advert... You're loving it... (Oh s**t, just realised don't I need to put "TM" after that?!?!)
jon711

Post by jon711 »

If you need acomodaion, check this out:-

http://www.themillhousebedandbreakfast.co.uk/2.html

http://www.broadlandvillage.co.uk/

Both run by club members...

Jon
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Pensioners plate? I may have a bus pass but not my pension yet a few years to go.
Anyway I do not sail without lead or iron firmly attached to a fixed keel, (Never really was as keen a dinghy sailor as keel-yotter but I love dinghies to bits non the less.) but if you could find Beat Nik..................! Drop Out or Flower Child......................! For one occasion only a bit like Cliff & The Shadows... I went to their show it was just fantastic not as moving or musically satisying as John Dankworth Cleo Lane and their friends and family were a couple of weeks back, but amazing non the less.
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Just organised that for Oulton Week 2010, I will be sailing Oulton Rater XX1....

Be afraid, BE VERY AFRAID, no seriously, BE VERY VERY AFRAID....

You may think the Phantom is a handicap bandit - you ain't seen nothing yet!!!

Just need to find a crew.....

Jon

(What handicap do I put on the Rater, now that I am sailing it myself???)
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Just found out, that the Thames A Raters have requested an open meeting, the weekend before the 3 Rivers Race. Could I encourage any of the A Raters to also consider Oulton Week as a possible event. I am sure most, if not all, are eligible for CVRDA status!! It would be lovely to see a Thames A Rater, racing against an Oulton Rater...

Jon

(Who say's that Eastern sailing is cut off from the real world??)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A Raters belong in the real world?
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Yes absolutely "But not one we might recognise Jim"!
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Ancient Geek wrote:Yes absolutely "But not one we might recognise Jim"!
Do you mean Jon??

Seroiusly though, I would so much like to see the A Raters, racing Oulton Raters and if we are lucky also racing Norfolk Punts...

Will we be that lucky at Oulton WeeK????

Here's hoping....

Jon
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

It's a trekkie joke....so Jim, not Jon.

I would like to bring a boat (or more) to Oulton, but won't know until a lot nearer the time because of all the other things she and I have to do during the summer. Already we have multiple timetable clashes. I will keep you posted.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Just realised, I may also be eligable for the pensioners plate, just depends if the club will class an RC Laser as a keelboat!! (It does have a keel!!). The age qualification, is not (unfortunatly) an issue!!

Jon
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jon,

the boat that you are sailing XX1, that's not.................Catasphrope (spelling is deliberate BTW)?

have just cancelled attendance at OBW - will go to north wales or even the Topper Topazs..... anything BUT sailing on the same stretch of water

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

David,

No, XX1 is Chaos, XX2 is Catasrophe (You obviously know the boat to get the spelling correctly wrong!!). During Oulton, Catastrophe (It's now spelt right by the way!) is usually lent out, to an Ex-Squib national champion, and Catastrophe's owner sails his Waveney OD. Knowing how competitive the Ex Squib champ is, not sure whether he would rather race with the CVRDA on a swingeing handicap (for all the carbon and other gubbins it has) or race in the fast handicap fleet with the modern plastic bottles, on a more realistic handicap..

Chaos, was restored about 5 years ago, very simpathitically, and to pretty much original condition, except for the tin rig (original size, just tin)..

Jon

PS.. Hope they find the container soon, it could be a major embarisment.....