Bough Beech - June 19th

Chat about CVRDA events
davidh

Re: Bough Beech - June 19th

Post by davidh »

Well done to Trevor and all the team at Bough Beech for hosting an exciting day yesterday! The poor of RO had a few interesting calls to make and I can think of a number who'd have pulled the plug; had he done so I doubt that there would have been too many complaints. So much for the sunny 15kts that I had on a forecast, some of the gusts that we took would have broken bits or tipped in a well found modern boat.

On the last lap of the 3rd race, the short leg up from the bottom mark to the line was an windy as you'd ever want to sail a dinghy in, let along a 36 year old classic with 'suspect' fittings. For the final rounding and short beat Team Smokey Bear was in full 'survival' mode.... the best joke was on seeing the N flag fly, did we go for another beat and then a hairy spinnaker blast. Discretion ruled and we left the posing to Michael Briggs in the Firefly who looked great blasting back and forth.

So now starts another round of repairs and in truth I cannot blame the scrapper supercrew who put nary a foot wrong yesterday - what bits broke were down to my breakfast of 3 shreddies!!

But a great day, it was good to have a full day afloat, a lot of laughs and in the end, a good result for the Smokers!

See you at the next one!

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

David,

I think you worked me too hard yesterday!!! The boat can take that wind but poor old supercrew can not. Just about managed to get from the bedroom to the Sofa and then collapsed!!! Great sailing, but was using totally different muscles to those I use in the Blaze or at work. I think we may need more time in the boat, to make us (me!!) fitter for Merlin sailing!!!

Does anybody know of a good quality Merlin spinnaker (Not the latest size!) for sale?? Having torn a big hole in Smokey Bear's at Bough Beech, we should really replace it!

Jon
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Is the race report sorted? Not too sure I can contiribute much, we retired from the first race, and were not paying attention to the action on the water, and were away from the action on the other two, however may be able to cobble something together if no one else can...

Jon
roger

Post by roger »

Trevor has it in hand thanks Jon
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I would like to post a warning to any one who sails opens at Bough Beech.. In the first race we came ashore for emergancy repairs, so we thought we would sail to the grass like area and just sit there... Bow nearly on the beach, I jump out......

Was swimming until David sailed the boat onto the beach.... Outside the slipway area, it doesn't just shelve, it steps!!! I was hanging off the transom, and not touching bottom, while the bow was kissing the shore!! (admittidly I'm a short a**e - but that did suprise both of us!!)

Still enjoyed it all

Jon
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Many thanks to all who came yesterday. As the only Jollyboat in the club it is so special to have some classics to race against. Lots of people commented on the friendly entrants too, which was great.

Jon, members underestimate the drop there too, it gets better as the water recedes in the summer. Roger, such a shame you did not get to do more racing.

The race report is nearly finished, just awaiting results from Pat and photos from Martyn at the club.

TC
Harrier 25
505 7163
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I had a similar experience when coming in from the last race, not 15 or 20 ft from the shore, and the water looking lighter from the stirred up mud. Jumped out to take control of the boat before we grounded, just to drop down to chest/shoulder height and I could feel with my feet the bottom dropping away very quickly. It was shock, I can tell you.

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Pat

Post by Pat »

And I was saying to Sandy "don't get too close to the shore, it doesn't drop away like Cheddar!" thinking it shelved as gently as the launch area all round.

Results were put up and linked from the front page earlier today.

Trevor, could I have some photos for the gallery please, original size is best. You have my email or cd by post.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Peter H

Post by Peter H »

I know there was a photographer afloat at some stage.Other than the three acompanying the report, are their any more photos, and if so where. Not for self satisfaction, but because I'm interested the the apparent mast rake on Unit.

Regards

Peter H
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I have sent around 50 to Pat to put on the CVRDA gallery, happy to send them and/or the 3 good one of U7 if you can let me have your email?
Harrier 25
505 7163
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Any good ones of Smokey Bear? would love to see them...

Jon
chris

Post by chris »

Especially mending S.B on the shore???!!!
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Now, Chris you know we never go sailing without ever having to repair the boat!! (and isn't that half the fun, fixing breakages and overcoming breakages?)

Think I may have a chat with my friends in The Apache John Band (Go on Google them!) to write a song about boat breakers. So that we could play it on full volume when we turn up for an event!!

I like to make a distinctive appearance, as does a certain person who was PRO recently at the weekend, as he jumped in the boat on the way out to the committee boat, he said "The ego has landed!!"

Jon
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Pat,

Not wishing to seem impatient, but have you got the pictures yet??

Just want to see pictures of all the classic boats on the plane, they should be pant wettingly good........

(Well, except for that famous boat breaker Roger, (I will happily hand that moniker over! :wink: ) who did not complete a race, in his own boat!! :wink: )

Jon

Ex Boat Breaker :lol:

And, I hope you realise that my tongue is very much in my cheek.... (Just in case you do not get my Northern Humour!!)
roger

Post by roger »

jon711 wrote:Pat,

Not wishing to seem impatient, but have you got the pictures yet??

Just want to see pictures of all the classic boats on the plane, they should be pant wettingly good........

(Well, except for that famous boat breaker Roger, (I will happily hand that moniker over! :wink: ) who did not complete a race, in his own boat!! :wink: )

Jon

Ex Boat Breaker :lol:

And, I hope you realise that my tongue is very much in my cheek.... (Just in case you do not get my Northern Humour!!)
Minor Technicality Jon we did complete the first race. We came 8th. I was very pleased with the fully battend sail and if we hadnt been full of water could have shown you how to plane a Hornet. She is now in the shed and waiting for me to find half a second to turn her over(with lorry drivers help) and start to gently pull her apart and re glue all those dodgy joints. Then we will be back with a vengeance.

:evil:

ps look out on the starts with plank fully out we are wider than a merlin.

meanwhile looking at a surprise entry for a more gentle sail at Clwedog. Any guesses.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353