Oulton Week 2010

Chat about CVRDA events
Garry R

Re: Oulton Week 2010

Post by Garry R »

Sense is beginning to prevail and we now should be at Oulton and Clywedog as planned.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

And we have a crew ready and waiting if needed.. (A young lady with experience of Laser II's!!)
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

However thinking of Oulton Weeks past "experienced" was all that was required.
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Just thinking back to Bough Beech, we were started under a CVRDA flag. Is it possible to get two of them for Oulton Week (We will need one on the committee boat and one at the club -We always CB start and quite often shorten at the club. This keeps the starting away from the finishing!)? If not possible to borrow, can we purchase two? It would so much help out as we are running out of flags to use!! (So many starts, so little time!)

Jon
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Just to point out boats CVRDA qualified are available to borrow, another excuse gone!!!!
Simples.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have just had this info as regards directions for Oulton Week which you will find useful if not essential!!!.

"If you are travelling to the Oulton Week do not use SATNAV to get to the Club. You need to aim the SATNAV at Oulton Broads Animals Park and go through the car parks until you see the masts of the dinghy park. You can drop off the dinghy and rig there Ok but once completed the car must be returned to the pay and display car park or I assume to wherever you are staying."

If I get further info I will post it here.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well there were 3 merlins (Garry, ourselves and Nick Crickmore) plus 1 extra on Sunday for the De May series day and a National 12, an Ent and a Streaker plus an Albacore from Lincoln who came for Sunday and was disappointed at the turnout.
I was very unimpressed with Oulton Broad club and its facilities. First thing you find is it costs £4-25 to park, then it is a long walk through the public park to the clubhouse lugging your sailing kit. The changing rooms are totally inadequate - six people in the ladies is too many - designed for cruiser sailors who just need a shower. Most people changed in their cars. You hike all the way back to dinghy park then launch and navigate up a slipway-wide channel against the wind and through the lasers. The race area is OK but with broads hire boats chuntering through and around and built up parts, it's like a larger version of the Thames. Working out the start and finish without a briefing was also challenging.
Then the same struggle to return and change, ending in the bar where you are given "what are you doing here, you're not local" looks because there was no briefing or introduction. Then the one design crews stand there shouting at each other, so even the teenagers go out because it is too loud and other members leave so the raucous ones cause the club a serious loss of bar takings! We moved to the local pubs instead but the one good point about the club was decent catering (professional) with good beer, excellent bacon butties and "do you eat it or climb it" cakes.
Monday and Tuesday were too windy for us but we had some decent races on Sunday and Wednesday with Nick taking firsts in the Merlins and afternoon "vintage dinghies" series and the N12 in the morning one. I wouldn't go again but it had to be tried.
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

I was the Albacore from Lincoln and, yes, I was dissapointed with the turnout. Reading through the pages of this thread on the forum and allowing for a bit of hyperbole I expected 20+ in the vintage fleet and we got nothing like that. I do not see that was any fault of Oulton SC just a lot of people "talking a good fight" and then not turning up. We left early due to other commitments NOt due to any act or omission by the club.
We found the club friendly,hospitable and in most cases ready to bend over backwards to make life easier. We even got a talk on the difference between Brown and White boats,where all the marks were,and a local history lesson. All much apprecieated.
I cant comment on the ladies changing rooms but Sally didnt say anything so I asume they were ok. The gents were sailing club changing rooms, not palacial but clean and suited to purpose.
In the bar we were made welcome and the beer as stated was excellent. Watching the cruisers race from the balcony in the sunday evening sunshine with the brass band in the back ground was memorable as was the carvery at the Wherry Hotel reccomended by several members.
The only down side was the 1st race sunday which we won by a clear margin on the water, The National 12 crew was certain we had won on time, as indeed we were, only to discover that we were beaten by a Merlin that finished behind us on the water. [deleted section on two against 4 figure handicaps - You know why!]
On the whole I would and indeed will go back if we dont clash again.
Well done WOBYC good first effort they deserve the support in future
Sam
Pat

Post by Pat »

You obviously got a private briefing that the rest of us didn't! Most people we spoke to weren't aware of visitors even being expected.
Oulton results were worked out on their normal 4 figure PY system (not sailwave but something local) using our numbers times 10 with no problems other than classifying the various Merlins. The Merlins generally have a worse handicap than an Albacore but a national 12 has better and it would be that which beat you and won the morning series - the Merlin only won the afternoon series.
Hope we'll see you at another event next year Sam. Notts?
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Both the national crew and ourselves kept times on the race in question and we were both sure Sally and I had done enough. We were credited with 3rd place on corrected time BEHIND a merlin that finished a leg and a half behind us on the water. Nothing to do with sailwave (Usually inaccurate in my experience) or handicap modifications just plain ordinary human error in recording times but then what the hell its only a jolly when all is said and done. We hope to do a few meetings next year including nottingham, where we went this year but due to the rapid demise of next doors rabbit and the involvement( alledged) of my puppy had to come home for peacekeeping opperations, and Hunts plus anywhere else within reasonable distance.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I was disappointed in the turnout too. A long way to come to be in a class of 7 boats total over the week. A shame that we had the weather we did too which curtailed racing. The National 12 crew and helm (thanks for the meal at Lowestoft) and Mark in the Streaker were very welcoming but I agree with the comments regarding a briefing. The Toppers keeping clear of one start line would have been welcome. Bar/beer and food excellent and cost per race very fair and men's changing room adequate. Fortunate perhaps that the 20+ boats anticipated did not turn up otherwise a real squeeze. Trish said the ladies changing room was small and the gentleman found in there on the night of the live entertainment was not appreciated. All in all an impressive experience to see the large boats sailing on the Broad.