2010 confirmed locations and dates

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: 2010 confirmed locations and dates

Post by Rupert »

Slightly lacking in inspiration as to what to hang it all on in 300 or so words, so the geographical spread seemed as good as anything. Most of the time I go on about odd boats in these writeups, so clubs and counties seemed to make a change. Hunts is in Cambridgeshire, is it, not Huntingdonshire - does that one still exist? Apologies if I got it wrong!

Individual previews of the meetings coming up would be good, too, maybe each one shortly after the meeting before?* If any organizer wants me to put something up, let me know, otherwise I'll assume you are happy doing it yourselves?

*Oulton and Clywedog will have to have previews running concurrently, so it is probebly worth making sure there are a few days between posts from each.

Can we get the Nationals into Classic boat? I assume Oulton week will have its own features in there, outside (but including?) the classics?
Rupert
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Rupert,

I must be a numbskull (No comments please :lol: ) but Classic Boat, totally slipped off my Radar. I've always considered them a totally keelboat mag, although I do know that they do dinghy stuff. My good friend, Richard Johnstone-Bryden, writes for them, and he will be at Oulton Week, unless my helm wants to submit an article to Classic Boat? (Not sure on the professional way to do this!! - will have to see. Upset a recent friend and helmsman, or upset an old friend and sailing collegue). Or maybe encourage a collaboration (I don't think that would go down to well!!)

On a similar slant, there is also Wooden Boat, I appreciate it is an American magazine, but they do cover a lot of European events. I will investigate that too. We can (assuming you do not mind!) handle the publicity, as we would also like to include all Classic Boats, not just dinghies into Classic Boat reports, and maybe Wooden Boat also.. (I have a feeling that Y&Y and Bearfacemedia may look after itself!!)

I will send you the preview bits, about a month before the event, you may then post them when you feel it fit's in...

Jon
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds good to me, Jon. I'm glad you have a contact at CB, and you are right, it is time to go and get WB!

Oulton week is always going to be different to the normal cvrda style event, as there are so many classic dayboats, keelboats and yachts around. It makes sense to promote them all together as much as possible. I'm sure you won't let the dinghies be lost in amongst all those keels and gaff rigs!

I'm happy to send stuff to Y&Y to tie in with Clywedog, so no problem with that.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Apart from the overall magazines we need promotion on each eligible class's website. Rupert will no doubt do the Fireflies, Chris and I the Merlin Rocket, Roger the Hornet and Ed/Neil/Alan the IC and Finn but anyone could get busy on some others.
Make sure you get all the venue details, dates and starts and costs in. The racing, cvrda handicaps, current handicaps list on the main cvrda site should be good for a starting list! And (for Oulton week particularly) whether non-cvrda boats are allowed - they could be potential converts!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

Im afraid I have rather given up on the Hornets though there are a few older ones out there.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Roger I gave up on the Hornets 12 years ago a lost cause.
Cheers Al
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Pat wrote:Apart from the overall magazines we need promotion on each eligible class's website. Rupert will no doubt do the Fireflies, Chris and I the Merlin Rocket, Roger the Hornet and Ed/Neil/Alan the IC and Finn but anyone could get busy on some others.
Make sure you get all the venue details, dates and starts and costs in. The racing, cvrda handicaps, current handicaps list on the main cvrda site should be good for a starting list! And (for Oulton week particularly) whether non-cvrda boats are allowed - they could be potential converts!
I'm intregued Pat, do you mean old boats that have active Assoc racing, but otherwise would be eligible? Or the new plastic buckets?

The plastic buckets, already have there own starts, which is why I have been pushing the classic boats so hard. Once they see that old boats can sail, then they may convert. I think they start 3 mins before us!!

Jon
Pat

Post by Pat »

I mean boats that don't qualify for cvrda need to know whether they can attend the event too - point out that there's also starts for....
Those who come with modern boats are potential converts to older boats. Less pressure and more fun.
I've heard "oh we'd have come if we'd realised there was racing for boats that aren't cvrda eligible" about Roadford last year when we had the Goodacre Cup in parallel.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Good point Pat, (missed that one) will get on the case...

Jon

As an aside, was talking with Jamie Campbell last night, if any of his collection are sailable, then they could be borrowed on a "You bend it you mend it (properly) policy"...

Possibly, not the best thing for a boat wrecker like me to envisage!! :lol:
chris

Post by chris »

Pat, are you referring to Oulton? Surely attracting modern boats to Clywedog etc.is a mistake.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Surely Pat is trying to be inclusive?
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Some of our events have other open events running along side them - Roadford has the Goodacre cup, Oulton will have many events. Even Clywedog in the past has had the old Gaffers sharing the water. If this is the case, it is worth letting people know.
Other events have club racing running along side, and it may be that it is possible for people to join in with that by prior arrangement.
However, the cvrda events are for qualifying boats, and I don't think we ourselves should be putting on events for non qualifying boats - after all, you'd not expect the Solo class to put on a Laser event, though a club may run a combined event for them.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Re. Roadford the Goodacre takes place on the August Bank Holiday weekend. The Open for next year will be in May the same as this year. Only club racing takes place at this time or if a club is down for the weekend they may join in with the club racing. It's not a big event like Goodacre.
Cheers Al
keithr

Post by keithr »

I have got a plug on ff website but will send them more soon.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
jon711

Post by jon711 »

At Oulton we have a crane if any FF would rather crane in!!

I am hoping that some of the Broxbourne Classic 15 fleet may turn up!!

Jon