MR 950 Shake down.

share hints, tips and experiences
Ed
Site Admin

Re: MR 950 Shake down.

Post by Ed »

Agree with previous.

But first, bear with me......but do really make sure it is a 'crack' and not just coming in around the bolt. I am sure it is a crack.....but really make sure. It is so easy to presume it is one thing and find it is another.

If it is a thin crack, run a good cyano-ac (Zap is most probably the best) down the crack. Bear in mind that Cyano is 'theoretically' not waterproof, but I have never really had a problem with this, but do coat with some varnish.

If thick enough that you can put a knife edge into.....then do as Rupe says, cut a straight 'v' along the crack and then glue in with epoxy a small square length of mahogany to fit. Once dry cut off the top of square section and plane down till smooth. It will look fine.

But....if it is only small, I wouldn't be surprised if it does just swell up and seal itself.

I wouldn't worry too much about water getting into the wood. It is solid mahogany and I don't think it will get enough water penetration to rot. As AG says, it wasn't varnished to start with anyway.

But, I would really try and avoid taking the box out if you can.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Believe me, if I can avoid taking the centreboard case out, I will.

I have sorted my rudder, except I have decided I want a rubber universal joint for the tiller.

I have ordered another Crewsaver bag, so I can give Rupert his spare back....

Rupert is now in possession of the jib halyard he gave me, for shortening - thanks in advance Rupert.

I will pop down to my local model shop tomorrow for some Zap - it seems to be a favourite for the radio control aeroplane crowd.

This weekend I am off camping with a bunch of Hairy-a**ed bikers in the Peak District. But should be back Sunday. :shock:

All I want to do is take her for a sail, but I need to pack my motorcycle camping gear tonight, cook tea, take the kids swimming, etc. Perhaps Wednesday.

No rest for the criminally insane......

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

When you get your "Rubber", (They are not rubber are they, but God knows what they are made of and does it matter we all understand rubber!) universal tiller extension joint you will save yourself a possible and uneccesary breakdown at some time in the future if you de-mount it after sailing and remount it before (It is only a push-slide thing.) they simply do not take kindly to being kept bent, many people get away with not doing it but why invite a problem and lose another days sailing?
They also seem to be UV sensative if left out all the time that is 24 X 7 X 365.
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

There is a joint (Ronstan or Seasure I think) made to be easily de-mountable with a turning piece to lock it. We use them on our non-cvrda boats and always remove the extension. It packs better and lasts longer too. P&B or LDC or Force 4 will do them mail order.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Update:

I have used some of that Zap on the centre board case and the patch. But I have not yet removed the tape so I do not know whether it works fully yet. Need to bring along some spirit to clean up where the tape has been.

All the cam cleats need a bit of oiling as they all seem to be a bit sticky in operation. Must remember the 3in1!

As the boat is at the club, I have to bring my tools with me all the time and I keep forgetting stuff!

I have now rigged the spinnaker and am using the wooden 5ft pole with the original spinnaker. I have another spinnaker and a 6' 5" ally proctor pole, but it seems that it is not originally a Merlin Rocket spinnaker. I will have to measure it to make sure it is okay.

I have not successfully flown it yet though as my crew for this weekend was fairly new and in the two attempts made just got in a tangle. Got to remember to chuck the spinnaker forward, as it kept disappearing between the jib and the main and twisting.

The pole we have has 'open hooks' at each end, rather than string operated closing variety fitted to modern poles. This will take some getting used to.

I also have to revisit the kicker, whilst I am happy with the operation of the drum, I am not happy that I now only have a cleat to make it fast on, now that the spinnaker is fitted, which does not allow me, or my crew, to adjust it more easily whilst on the move.

I am enjoying sailing it though, and have had some positive comments at the club. I must get my house in order soon though, as I have some Albacores to chase around the lake.

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
chris

Post by chris »

Glad to hear the progress is good.
I would say that Albacores make good sparing companions. Some conditions are Albacore days others merlin days!
C
JimC

Post by JimC »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:All the cam cleats need a bit of oiling as they all seem to be a bit sticky in operation. Must remember the 3in1!
I'd be a bit wary of using mineral based oil: it can be a son-of-a-***** (am I still allowed to say that?) for picking up sand and silt and making things worse. If you can readily dismantle them do so, clean them out thoroughly and use a dry lubricant that would be a better option. Some of the older ones were designed to have grease in their inwards, but you need to find a salt water proof one, not just good old castrol...
Stephen Hawkins wrote: The pole we have has 'open hooks' at each end, rather than string operated closing variety fitted to modern poles. This will take some getting used to.
I think you'll find this will have been a jib stick rather than a spinnaker pole... Kite handling with open hooks would be very challenging: as a not inexperienced forward hand I wouldn't even try!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

You can say '*****' you just call someone a '*****' :D

Interesting about the spinnaker poles and jib sticks.

Certainly early Fairey spinnaker poles were open ended and shaped like a shepherd's crook. The crook made out of stainless inside a straight aluminium pipe. on all the ones that I have had (with Jollyboats), the inevitable has happened and corrosion has swelled and broken the end.

But right with Jim.....pretty much totally impossible to use. If the pressure is constant, you can be OK....but if not then it always goes wrong. You use the thing one way up and the guy falls out, use it the other way up and it falls out the gooseneck.

Much better to get some proper ends.

I have considered this as more evidence for the general theory that in the Uffa Fox model of the spinnaker flying world, you kept the kite big and balloony and then only used it straight downwind in gentle winds. Other evidence is that all the original spinnaker fittings on early Fairey boats are obviously designed to have the kite fitted when you wanted to use it and then taken down immediately afterwards. Early Photos if Jollyboat under kite show the jib carefully taken down and tied with the sheets across the fore-deck. Of course at this same time, the Merlins were still by rules flying their kites from inside the stays!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it