WILDFIRE DINGHY s/n 15

General chat about boats
brooksideballoonist

WILDFIRE DINGHY s/n 15

Post by brooksideballoonist »

Hi all

New to this forum. Just purchased Wildfire no 15 already stripped down stripped down for refurb by late owner. Seems to be all there but I would welcome advice on refitting/rigging etc. in the form of detailed photos of rigged/fitted out Wildfire that you may have.

Many thanks
AndyFinn478

Re: WILDFIRE DINGHY s/n 15

Post by AndyFinn478 »

Hi, I own a Wildfire, I am based in Sussex and used to keep her at Weirwood but got bored going round the reservoir so now in a dinghy park at Birdham. I am hoping to do some cruising this year as they are good open sea boats. Mine has a Flying 15 main and jib rather than the ISO fully battened main some on here use. There are two Wildfires at Bough Beech in Kent and there are quite a few posts on here. I actually have a copy of the original line drawings from Proctors. I can let you have a copy for cost of copying and postage. They will help with regards size of rudder and mast/'boom if you do not have these and also rigging I guess.

I would love to see some pics of your boat so if you want to send some to alacrity2009@hotmail.com then I can send you some of mine.

I might start a Blog on the Wildfire so we can exchange ideas etc and there is also a good website here and this guy's boat is at Bough Beech I think.

http://www.mandiri.org.uk/solent_challe ... age754.htm

The guy sailied his round the IOW and there are quite a few pics which may help.

Best regards,

Andy
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I sail at Bough Beech and hope to collect a Wildfire this week. Happy to send some photos when I can, probably next week. I helmed one of the others at BBSC yesterday and was impressed.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Brian 42

Post by Brian 42 »

Hi,

Good to hear from another wildfire sailor (or perhaps more accurate to say Wildfire repairer at the moment ;) )

My father owns 84 (the boat JB9 was talking about in the previous post) and as the IT literate one in the family I've been compiling a list of owners. who knows, maybe a website will be on the way soon as well .....

If you are interested in staying in touch - drop me an email on Brian@KentTMS.co.uk and I'll put you on the list. Any pics would be good to post on any forthcoming website as well. This isn't a 'proper' class association or anything, just something informal.

At the moment we're looking at having a (tongue firmly in cheek) 'National Championships' this August in Chichester Harbour. The Bough Beech fleet will be there plus AndyFinn's hopefully - that's four boats altogether - it'd be nice to make it five.

There's also been some testosterone fuelled talk of another marathon trip this year in 84 ....... Watch this space!!

Be good to hear from you.

All the best

Brian
W84
paulatkins

Post by paulatkins »

I own the Wildfire (sail no. 40) previously owned by the Newton Ferrers Sailing School. I had great fun sailing and racing the boat on the Yealm and along the coast for several years. I can vouch for the self-righting function - one experience with no problems. The offsping have migrated so I am now trying to sell the boat (£550). I have replaced the mast with one from a Devon Yawl (very close to the original size) and a more up to date boom. Although I have an old set of Wildfire sails with the correct sail number I have been using sails from a Squib (2 mains and a jib) which are in great condition and certainly enhance the performance over the original, rather tired, set. Email me at fixem@btconnect.com if you would like to know anthing else about the boat or are interested in buying it.
All the best
Paul