Dinghy Show 2011

Beer, food and discussions on PYs
Rupert

Dinghy Show 2011

Post by Rupert »

Can't believe last year's show thread is only 3 down on the list!

I'll be there this year for both days. Anyone wanting to say hello can find me being a Firefly sailor on the Sat and a Lightning sailor on Sun. Kathryn will be on the Firefly stand on the Sun. The kids will be causing chaos somewhere between...

I will print some posters which I can give to Pat/anyone to stick up on stands which might like them.
Rupert
Pat

Re: Dinghy Show 2011

Post by Pat »

Let's meet as usual in the Ale bar off the West Hall at 1p.m. Anyone welcome, we'll try to find some way of displaying a cvrda logo. Hopefully one of us will wear a cvrda T shirt - a Clywedog fleece will be far too warm!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Can I meet up even if I'm in a collar and tie (without too many comments!)

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Pat wrote:Let's meet as usual in the Ale bar off the West Hall at 1p.m. Anyone welcome, we'll try to find some way of displaying a cvrda logo. Hopefully one of us will wear a cvrda T shirt - a Clywedog fleece will be far too warm!
Is that Saturday or Sunday?

http://www.rya.org.uk/programmes/dinghy ... ckets.aspx

Nice to see both a Firefly and IC display.

It might be nice one year to lobby all the stands with "Classic" status to consider having an "Old and New" display. Good examples could be offered of several classics and if several stands were involved there would be enormous publicity and I think an added interest to the show. Some of the Hot racers might not be so keen but I often think an Old and new display attracts far more interest in the class. I guess there are cost implications however.
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:....even if I'm in a collar and tie (without too many comments!)
D
No! :lol: :lol:

This will be an opportunity to get David drunk enough to spill the beans on the NLC I hope!
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

We're going on the Saturday but those who are there on Sunday are welcome to repeat it.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Michael, most stands are limited to one boat for the stand, so most classes will choose a new boat, I guess. The Fireflies will have an old boat on the stand, but one which has been Mk4'd.
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Alan and I will be there manning the Finn stand and looking after Mark Belshaw's recently completed wooden Taylor/Warwick Finn which has been resurected from 30 odd years in dry storage, and is yet to go afloat, this will be alongside the very latest evolution Devoti which is also as yet untouched by water.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
JimC

Post by JimC »

there will be some older Cherubs, one from 1964, and an interesting one which is a 1980 shell which wasn't completed until last year! There's a question: is the latter CVRDA eligible? After all its not really any different from a boat that was stripped back to a bare shell and rebuilt last year...
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Provided it complied with pre '85 rules I would not have thought it would pose a problem.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The shell was built in 1980, so I can't see a problem. If it is done as per modern rules, then that isn't really different to a conversion, but my feeling would be that it might not find much in the way of competition if it is done as a twin wire flying machine, the average cvrda boat being rather different to that...
Rupert
Mark

Post by Mark »

We are planning on pottering up on the Saturday with FGW taking the strain; the visit being mainly aimed at the MYA and the Mirror Class Association
Rupert wrote:Can't believe last year's show thread is only 3 down on the list!

I'll be there this year for both days. Anyone wanting to say hello can find me being a Firefly sailor on the Sat and a Lightning sailor on Sun. Kathryn will be on the Firefly stand on the Sun. The kids will be causing chaos somewhere between...

I will print some posters which I can give to Pat/anyone to stick up on stands which might like them.
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Drop by the Fireflies, Mark!
Rupert
Mark

Post by Mark »

Rupert wrote:Drop by the Fireflies, Mark!
wouldn't miss them for the world :mrgreen:
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Pat

Post by Pat »

Good to see folks again yesterday. Our general impression was that there were less visitors than usual as financial constraints begin to bite - adding up the costs of fuel, tickets etc. takes quite a bit from the sailing funds.

I gather there is plenty of interest in older boats though which I take as another sign of the financial situation - people don't want to spend in times of job uncertainty. Glad I'm not in the new boat business.

Here's a slogan for this year maybe?
Beat the financial crisis - sail an old boat.