Another Guess the Dinghy

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Another Guess the Dinghy

Post by Ed »

well......I am afraid I have absolutely no idea what I was doing at all.....but I am pretty sure I didn't watch the wedding!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed wrote:well......I am afraid I have absolutely no idea what I was doing at all.....but I am pretty sure I didn't watch the wedding!

eib
That probably means you were rowing Ed.

(If you were in one of Rusty's crews at UL you certainly wouldn't have been allowed to admit to romantic notions or the like.)

Interestingly the "I'm good and you're s***!" mentality lives on on the "Talk Rowing" forum. If ever you feel like a bit of faceless trolling, get on there anonymously and post something positive about womens rowing! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Happy days? (I remember watching it but not what else was going on. Cant remember the date or anything.) Who knows. I was at a life stage where keeping fit and drinking were equal priorities.
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

It was a holiday so my then hubby was re-laying floorboards in the house we were renovating and nailed through a central heating pipe he'd just installed :D We had a rush to fix it and then an afternoon and evening friendly office cricket match against Jodrell Bank staff which involved plenty of beer.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
corkman

Post by corkman »

Is this a "Marlin"?
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Hello and happy new year..the first boat (christened LEA) seems to be a french PIAF, one of the late models , with integral countermold double skin hull and pivoting centreboard.

Designer Philippe Staempfli of switzerland and boatyard probably Spair Marine or Jullien (also made the (rather bad) late GRP Caravelles .

The PIAF was a look- alike annd a me - too of the more succesful Zef by Michel Nivelt and La Prairie boatyard which evolved much the same way from a daggerboard, wood decked boat to an all plastic pivot centreboard boat

It is by no means rare or precious this side of the channel but both zef and Piaf are good allround family cruising dinghies that should not be pushed too much in hard weather , at least without of some beefing up in mast fittings (they were made on a budget, and while they are generally troblefree, the fittings were on the light and weak side).

http://piaf-voile.optis-heberge.fr/ http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaf_%28voilier%29
http://piaf-voile.optis-heberge.fr/ZIG% ... 20Oct.html
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zef_%28d%C3%A9riveur%29
http://deriveurzef.jimdo.com/

Best regards and happy sailing all
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

The Blue boat is a mowgli , the double bottom boat made by Gouteron, as a 2 in dinghy for young kids (in the 70's all major dinghy boatyards tried to seize that niche , there was Lanaverre's ...."KID" -the best attempt, very much like the present day equipe, but witout spi's chute, Morin's 4M a reduced 470 ...but Morin had also a 430 to pitch against Lanaverre's 420, laprairie's APACHE, wich was the less convincing one...and possibly some others)

Mowgli is immediately recognizeable With it's double bottom,its clever molding of the deck (lmast gate and spinaker's bucket) and single central draining hole (instead of two on the 445 and 485 bt the same maker

The purple demasted hull , is a late Morin 470 or bettersaid a Yachting France 470 (Yachting france was the attempt to merge Lanaverre Morin and Arcoa, with Dubigeon Big Shipyard providing the much desired re financing....but it was in fact the swansong of french dingy makers.

Le Der is a big lake the river Aube was dammed in the late sixties to prevent the return of the 1910 Paris Flood (with the french congressmen going to the chambre des députés in collapsible Berthon boats...a favourite vintage poscard to be found at the Bouquinistes boxes along the seine Banks)

We had great time there , with quite windy regattas and big Laser attendances in the late 80's ....we used to sail there in February and march (cold water but strong winds ) but the YC Der is nowdays less keen on organising big sacle dinghy events.

There is an iskland in the middle with a church on it , the last remnant of the Chantecoq village which had to be flooded when the Aube was dammed...the old watertower some distance away has been converted ine a sightseeing place for tourists with a great view over the lake...the only trouble is that the lake is generally low ,even very low in summer as its water is used to get a steady flow for the seine commerciual traffic.

Another lake , somewhat smaller but much in the same libne was created on the Marne :
Lac de la foret d'Orient near Troyes...and the same applies as to water height and pleasant scenery..and cheap "green " tourism as it is not a snobbish seaside resort , much more a place for easy and cheap écotourism.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

The red and white boat is a mystery boat even for me ...might be an english design , might (just) be a GRP Mousse (an unsuccessful contender of the Waurien) but it would be a late GRP model...but nothing certain here
Pat

Post by Pat »

Thanks Lasertourist - I knew you'd be along with the info. Gut feel said that was a 470.
The campsite and sailing club was on the peninsular right by the church and the bridge which dams an inlet so there's always a good size stretch of high water to sail on. Just want to go back there with a boat... and back to Lac de Lacanau west of Bordeaux AND to Lac de Paraloup down around my brother's place near Millau and the Tarn gorges.....
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Royal wedding. I was probably in a pub. So that narrows it down to about 75% of my waking life, which is considered low for an Osprey sailor :oops:
Best wishes

SB
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Pat wrote:Whilst sorting through my photos I came across these, so just for fun can you identify this dinghy?
Boat001.JPG
Boat002.JPG
(I know the answer by the way.)
Looks very like a "Chichester Harbour Scow."

...Theres one here on Apollo Duck.

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk ... ?id=234156

(So what is it then?)
Michael Brigg