Wildfire Dinghy

share hints, tips and experiences
simonsmith

Re: Wildfire Dinghy

Post by simonsmith »

I had a thought about the ballast weight issue. Lead is obviously going to cost a fair amount at about £7/kg, so what about water bags? They're quite strong and I can always fill them at the launch site. All I'll need is 4 x 20ltr bags, and if I use those solar camping shower ones I'm sorted for cruising .....?? Any thoughts folks?
Simon

Wildfire W44
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

I am no expert on keels or weighted centre boards, but I would stick with the lead weight, as despite the price, it is he advised option, and proven to work,
Hope it helps!
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Water-filled ones won't work. Even if you could get rid of all the air gaps (equivalent to flooding the keel with water) the keel would only be the same density as water and would provide zero righting moment. I can't think of any practical alternative to lead.
Best wishes

SB
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

A cheaper alternative would be cast iron chipings. You wont get as much righting moment, but much much better than water.

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_metals.htm may help. But sadly - the denser the metal the more it seems to cost!

As long as its got lead ballast, then maybe the cheapest solution would be to buy one of the many project yachts on eBay and then break it up - selling the fittings alone might recoup the cost of the purchase. Note that most small trailer sailors use cast iron for ballast....

Or buy lead shot from fishing tackle suppliers: http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalo ... 28lb-.html
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If it were me, I would collar any of the passing scrap totters (you can usually snare them by using an old fridge as bait in your front garden). They should be happy to sell you some as and when they find it (e.g. lead flashing or lead pipe) at the same, a little more than the dealwr would give them (£1 per kg according to Rupert's post earlier).

A few hours with a pair of tinsnips should get it to approximate shot.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nigel wrote:find it (e.g. lead flashing or lead pipe)
Should that be "find" in inverted commas?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

JimC wrote:
Nigel wrote:find it (e.g. lead flashing or lead pipe)
Should that be "find" in inverted commas?
:D

alternatively, a visit to your local church roof might prove rewarding. Avoid Christmas eve as it always seems to be busy and you might get mistaken for Santa.
simonsmith

Post by simonsmith »

So, the weather has finally let up a bit and I've been out in the drive again on the boat. Most of the remaining fittings came off except some self-tapers that just turned in their holes; just two self balers, mast foot, foot strap fittings and the bow plate to come off. I'm looking forward to sanding and preparing for the paint. It's a gorgeous day out on the Moray Firth this morning and I can't help hanker after being out there. I've opened up the jib bag for the first time and found what looks like the original main sail with W44 number.
Simon

Wildfire W44
simonsmith

Post by simonsmith »

Hi Folks,

I want to add the facility to row my Wildfire since we're going to be doing some Moray Firth cruising, I don't want to stick an outboard on the back. My question is this: the oarlock socket position is over the side buoyancy tanks, is there a way of adding a socket without ruining the airtight seal? Thanks.
Simon

Wildfire W44
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

The (very) old fashioned way of using pins rather than rowl'ks would be possible - or rowlocks might be fitted in the gunwhale if it is tough and wide enough. You can buy rowlock sockets that fit on the outside wall of the hull and under / through the gunwhale.

You will need to get into the tank to position and glue (with epoxy) wooden pads to the inside of the hull wall and possibly deck to take the fastners.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
roger

Post by roger »

or learn the ancient art of sculling over the transom. I never could get that right.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
simonsmith

Post by simonsmith »

We've finally finished the painting of W44; a friend made space in his workshop for us. On now for the fitting out and the trailer ... Should be on the water in June!!
Simon

Wildfire W44
AndyFinn478

Post by AndyFinn478 »

Hi Simon,

It is a long time since I was on this site and I have also failed to fulfill my promise to senbd you those plans. I will dig them out, as said before they are a copy of the original final drawings for the Wildfire and I got them from Ian Proctor's son. It will tell you all about sails, ballast and so on as well as rudder shape etc. I will get round to it....anyone know where to get a round tuit? I keep saying I will get one but never get round tuit...

Regards,

Andy

Alacrity Seawitch AY250
GP14
Wildfire No. not known
Oppies x 2
Canoe
Kayak x 2
Row boat - unknown origin
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

oh, one of my grafham friends (there are some friendly people at grafham) has a wildfire. I will cajole him into to bringing it to the hunts meeting
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World