Pre-War Start Sequence

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
MartinH

Pre-War Start Sequence

Post by MartinH »

A bit of an obscure question, and I wasn't sure which board to post it in.

What was the start sequence pre-war (that's the 1939-45 one!)? I presume it was 10-5-GO, but what flags were used?

There are so many of you out there with useful books that I am sure someone must have the information.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Nigel

Re: Pre-War Start Sequence

Post by Nigel »

Wasn't it something to do with invading Poland? :shock:
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

What a very good question!

and not one that I am very sure of. Certainly before my time.

If I had to guess, I would think that it may well of not been any way standardised and it was left up to the local rules of the host club.

Somehow....also think....that although larger events on the sea used a 10-5-off, many smaller river events used a 6-3-off sequence.

I may well have some info on this in one of my older books. Will have a look and see if I can find anything

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Ed wrote:What a very good question!

and not one that I am very sure of. Certainly before my time.

If I had to guess, I would think that it may well of not been any way standardised and it was left up to the local rules of the host club.

Somehow....also think....that although larger events on the sea used a 10-5-off, many smaller river events used a 6-3-off sequence.

I may well have some info on this in one of my older books. Will have a look and see if I can find anything

cheers

eib
Thank you Ed.
In particular I was wondering how the RN started races in their regattas. There are many references in old sailors memoirs of Fleet regattas sailed in a variety of craft: cutters, gigs etc. but nothing on how they were conducted
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
JimC

Post by JimC »

Odd: just had a bit of a skim in some of my older books, esp some of Uffa's, and found no mention of start sequences that predate the end of the 50s when the IYRU rules started to be used, an that was 10/5 and the P flag.
davidh

Post by davidh »

This was a 'nice one' to take the mind of over indulgence at Christmas.... I enjoyed looking at my own records. Certainly here in the Solent and on the East Coast most racing followed the example of the yachting set up (which people knew about and appeared to work and that was 10, 5, Start. That equates to Class Flag, P, Flags down!

BTW Jim (C) - been working on the Greg Gregory obit as well over Xmas and now have some of his pictures including ones showing the first wired luffed flat reacher (like a code zero but equally a forerunner of the asymmetric), then another showing the Gregory 6 aka the 'pregnant penquin' - which was a direct prequel to the super successful Ghost Rider merlin design.

Is there a Cherub mag and would they want anything in the way of an Obit - can provide pictures as well

D
David H