Classic Boat Training

General chat about boats
Rupert

Classic Boat Training

Post by Rupert »

The thread in Banter has got me thinking - and maybe we need to take the whole subject a little more generally, rather than looking at the specifics of one club, which is a little unfair on those concerned.

Many members of the cvrda are novice or intermediate sailors - the love of boats, and the skills needed to make them beautiful, are not the same as thse needed to sail them, and the love of the boat often comes before the actual idea of putting them on the water.

There are plenty of courses run at clubs and centres around the country, but are there many which can deal with someone wanting to learn in their own classic boat? I suppose it makes sense to do the very basics in a boat that will bounce when you get it wrong, but the main point for many will be sailing the boat they have put so much blood and time into. Are there many instructors who can cope with such things? I know we have at least 2 or on here, but I suspect they are rare.

Is this an area we should be able to make recommendations in, do you think? Classes where classic boats are welcome to take part, clubs which are skilled in such things - maybe a chance to get a list together?
Rupert
Nessa

Re: Classic Boat Training

Post by Nessa »

I'd be pleased to help. We run mixed class training at Hunts every autumn, and some of those boats are classics as well as people's pride and joy. With respect all round it is manageable.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

I would be interested in a coaching course, if it was classic/old boat biased the better. I am not very good with Aft rigged boats and would like a mix of centre and aft rigged coaching.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Aft rigged coaching - now there's an idea the RYA have left far, far behind.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Rupert, you should still be expected to teach aft main sheeting, they will ask for it on your DI course. They threatened us with it on the Coach Assessor selection, but the weather was too dire for us to do much at all. I will soon be running my Assistant Instructor course and they will be expected to be able to demo aft tacking and gybing, simply because so many members still have boats sheeted that way.

The problem is most 'training boats' now are centre main, whcih is great if you go on to sail training boats, but if instea you buy a lovely classic ent, gp, mirror etc...a whole new learning curve lies ahead.

I also spend a fair bit of time showing adult returners how to learn the 'new' way, and to be fair, once mastered most prefer it.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Depending on where and when I'm willing to lend a hand with some training.

We even still have one aft sheeted boat (Gull) for teaching the youngsters at West Wilts, so it is not a completely forgotten art :D Though we didn't use any aft sheeting on the SI course.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Well, I'm off on a DI course in April, so I'll see for myself. Aft main not a problem, oddly enough...
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:The thread in Banter has got me thinking -

Is this an area we should be able to make recommendations in, do you think? Classes where classic boats are welcome to take part, clubs which are skilled in such things - maybe a chance to get a list together?
I run an 'upskills' week at Whitefriars every summer - its so much fun its part of my summer holidays plan now! We provide coaching in any skill any club member wants. This could certainly include how to tune an old rig, sail with aft sheeting, etc.

Its never been open to non members but I don't see why it should not be.

I'll post details here when we have decided on which week it is.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

As a new Whitefriars member, I will be looking forward to that.

Pencil me in.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Is the CVRDA training happen this year? Weather permitting
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven