miracle rubbing strip

share hints, tips and experiences
miracle

miracle rubbing strip

Post by miracle »

not sure which wood is used to make the miracle rubbing strips ,need to renew one side, bits that run outside full length , what would you use, mahogany oak , other ?
jpa_wfsc

Re: miracle rubbing strip

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I think on the Mirror we built (Bell Woodworking kit - so probably the same as the Miracle) they were not very special - a close grained pine kind of timber. Certainly not hardwood. They are supposed to add a bit of stiffness to the floor, but ultimately are sacrificial and take the knocks and wear sliding on the trolley / beach.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
miracle

Post by miracle »

jpa_wfsc wrote:I think on the Mirror we built (Bell Woodworking kit - so probably the same as the Miracle) they were not very special - a close grained pine kind of timber. Certainly not hardwood. They are supposed to add a bit of stiffness to the floor, but ultimately are sacrificial and take the knocks and wear sliding on the trolley / beach.
i mean the two rubbing strips that run around the outside top edges of the boat and not inside on the floor
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I was thinking of the two narrow strips outside on the floor!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
miracle

Post by miracle »

jpa_wfsc wrote:I was thinking of the two narrow strips outside on the floor!
think they are commonly called outer gunwales, im new to sailing so terminology is also new, still a learning curve.
kfz

Post by kfz »

Rubbing strip is fine. No hard and fact rules as long as the dimensions are in, she should be in class. Mahogony normally. Oak may not be so easy to bend to shape. Sure it possible if you try hard enough..

Quite few threads on here about fitting them so try search.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

These days a mahogany substitute would be pretty normal - just something fairly hard but straight grained.
Rupert
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I normally use sapele on miracle gunwhales. Mind you mainly because the timber yard across the road from my workshop lets me dig through their offcut pile and there is usually a few bits the right size there. It also does the job well which is a bonus.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
miracle

Post by miracle »

Graham T wrote:I normally use sapele on miracle gunwhales. Mind you mainly because the timber yard across the road from my workshop lets me dig through their offcut pile and there is usually a few bits the right size there. It also does the job well which is a bonus.
opted for sapele , should be fitted next week , then its decks , varnish , paint and seal, and on the water , lets hope for good beginner sailing weather