Thingummyjig

General chat about boats
Stephen Hawkins

Re: Thingummyjig

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

My Kathryn and your Kathryn have already sailed in the Firefly, last year, and my Kathryn was not greatly impressed with here 'accommodation'. I remember her commenting on not liking sitting backwards.

Phil58490 comment on the little shelves for the jib fairlead is interesting. It looks like it also used to have lowers fitted. I could replace these with something a small crew could sit on. Although, really, I am going to have to make sure it is substantial enough for an adult.

It is interesting that the dual role of a thwart seems now to be a single role. I.e. to stop the sides of the boat from folding inwards - e.g. structural. No longer to sit on. Progress for you.

Storm in a tea-cup I know.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Pat

Post by Pat »

Builders just assume their boats are going to be sailed on the sea in a good breeze with crew on the side always, not on shifty little puddles in light winds. The Albacore thwart is really too far back and the main hold-up to restoring the wide Merlin is having to fit a thwart.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I read that wrong first time, Pat, and thought you were being a little harsh on shi**y little puddles...
Rupert
angus

Post by angus »

Dammed crews always think the thwart is there for sitting on. It is there to stop the boat folding up. The answer is quite simple you sit in front of the crew on the side deck, if the wind is too light then move into the boat and stand up. I used to sometimes end up standing on top of the centreboard case, causing much hilarity when I fell off.
Important to remember to move back before tacking or the resulting tangle also causes much hilarity and is not quick.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Another light air approach is for one to helm on starboard and the other on port. Then both stay up front..
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

jpa_wfsc wrote:Another light air approach is for one to helm on starboard and the other on port. Then both stay up front..
My daughter and a friend got some wins at Shearwater using that technique when sailing a Gull in very light winds several years ago. Probably the only time a Gull has won there. :)
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
mph1977

Post by mph1977 »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:Where is she supposed to sit? On the floor?

Just lost my crew.........
in an National 12? yes

it is a dedicated racing boat , the thwart is there to brace the case not as a seat ...

if you want to have seats you buy a cruising or general purpose dinghy
Pat

Post by Pat »

mph1977 wrote:
Stephen Hawkins wrote:Where is she supposed to sit? On the floor?

Just lost my crew.........
in an National 12? yes

it is a dedicated racing boat , the thwart is there to brace the case not as a seat ...

if you want to have seats you buy a cruising or general purpose dinghy
Which as I've said elsewhere is a big contribution to the demise of double-handers for racing. Crews know life has choices and you do not have to put up with discomfort.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Pat,

You took the words right out of my mouth.

You have got to look after your crews.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"