N2323

share hints, tips and experiences
ian60

N2323

Post by ian60 »

I promised I wouldn't do it again but I seem to have gained another old National 12 - in not bad nick but needs a complete strip down and revarnish / repaint. On other boats I've used hot air gun, gentle scraping and light sanding as appropriate, I'm happy with this element but am I missing out on any new fangled CVRDA ideas when it comes to epoxy / varnish / painting. I've seen mention of some fabled thing called G4 in the forums - what's that all about then?

On the good side someone has already stripped off a lot of deck varnish and has primer painted the outside of the hull - problem is it was done some time ago so the stripped ply has had plenty of time to get dirty...and I'd prefer a varnished hull if the timbers good under the primer - if I can get it off.

Any suggestions good folk?

Ian
Pat

Re: N2323

Post by Pat »

Best description of G4 is found by using the search link above (top right) as there has been so much discussion on this forum. We've used it successfully.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I will be using G4 on my N12 Sparkle for its new deck in the next couple of weeks.

I have already used it on a Merlin Rocket and my other N12 Spider.

Very easy to use. Very quick to get a decent amount of coverage. I.e. you can get multiple coats on in a day - in fact you have to. A good hard finish that you can still varnish over once it has hardened off.

There is a new gloss version for the top coat as well.

Usual rules apply with regard to preparation. Do not put it on outside on a very hot day, in the summer. As it can get very tacky very quickly.....but otherwise very quick and easy.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
ian60

Post by ian60 »

Pat, Steve, thank you for the updates. I'll read up on the link at once! Ian
ian60

Post by ian60 »

Ok, I got a bit despondent with this one and tried to find her a new home however sadly (wisely?) no one wanted her.....but now the sun is shining again and she's back in the garage, the epoxy is working wonders and we've now reached the stage where it's just possible she may be afloat again in a few months time... I'm putting up this message so that I've committed myself in the sight of the CVRDA so non completion is not an option. Ah the power of positive thinking!