Proctor C or similar

Post your requirements here
ian60

Proctor C or similar

Post by ian60 »

I'm looking for a mast for N12 2323, all I've currently got is a bare hull and some items kindly donated which could be useful. There are a couple of masts - a very heavy Needlespar which I'm not keen on and an as yet unidentified job with diamonds which is light but may be 'past it' - bit like the new owner really....

Any (polite) suggestions or advice welcomed.

Ian
Pat

Re: Proctor C or similar

Post by Pat »

Ian - Try asking on the Lark or Firefly websites as they use C sections.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I have a Lark mast fitted to N12 2383 Sparkle.

I do have a spare mast, but it is a old proctor gold anodized mast, with a set of diamonds. It would be more original, if that is what you want. It came off 2383.

What else do you need?

Cheers

Steve
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
ian60

Post by ian60 »

Pat, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try them both.

Steve, I'm not too worried about being totally true to the original design - mostly I want to be reasonably confident that the mast I use will be (a) up to the trials & tribulations of sailing with me! and (b) Ok for the mainsails I have which I suspect were probably cut for a 'C'

I'll hold fire for the moment re the other mast you have, when I get a chance to check out mine properly I will know if they are usable.

'What else do you need' - is a dangerous question although probably not a lot really as I intend to keep the boat simple - Paul Turner at Trent Valley kindly brought the boat down and with lots of his 'spares' to go through. I think there is a usable rudder stock, tiller & extension. Need to source / make a blade but I think I can do that. Centreboard is good, sails are usable ( haven't seen them up a mast yet though.... Paul thinks he has a usable boom, he provided one but it is an interesting profile with corners and I am a bit slow to duck sometimes. I want to lead the main controls back to the thwart so at some point I will be after various blocks but I'm quite happy to buy new (or s/h). Probably going for aft main to keep the crew happy so no issues there.

My main concern at the moment is that three of the hull planks have distorted on the port side under the thwart where it sat on the trolley. The boat is currently supported at both ends and I'm applying some gentle pressure with wood / car jack to push things back in line. The rubbing strip in that area is cracked so when fixed it will be better but I think I may make up some half frames to sit in the hull on both sides. they will be useful for other things (toe strap mountings etc.) as well.

If they go back ok the planks may need a good dose of epoxy to help maintain the correct curvature - as a matter of interest does G4 add to structural integrity?

Thanks to you both for your assistance. Ian
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Sounds like you have a bit of sorting out to do before you really know what you are short of. not much by the sounds of things.

G4 should not be regarded as being able to add anything to the structural integrity, alas. Expoxy or one of the other glues like balcotan, or whatever its called.

Go to go to the N12 site and have a look are your boat.

cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
ian60

Post by ian60 »

Had some good news! Apparently it was too windy to sail at Trent yesterday so Paul Turner & colleagues had a go at sorting out the boat shed - amongst many other things they found a bag containing numerous bits off my boat. A Proctor C may also have become available - fingers crossed.

Ian