'Want to do' events

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
PeterV

'Want to do' events

Post by PeterV »

Every year is too crowded to do all the things I want, but what are the top events you'd like to do? Top of my list is the Round Isle of Sheppey but it always seems a busy time of the year for me, I'd like to do the Bosham Classics, then there's events I'd like to do again like the Hoo Freezer and The Lord Birkett. I've done the Nore Race in a Finn, I'd like to do that again and the Pill race is always good fun.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Obscured by clouds

Re: 'Want to do' events

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I'd like to do my local regatta with a handicap that reflects the age of my boats [any of them!] and not the latest carbon flyer. :roll:
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Birkett in something classic or comfy, not the carbon flyer!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Tony the Nationals are at Roadford next year. Re: handicap of Classic Finn the handicap used by clubs sailing Classic Finns e.g.. no carbon masts and Darcon sails is 1071.
Ask them to confirm it with me or the BFA if they require confirmation.
Cheers Al
Pat

Post by Pat »

The Birkett again and the Kielder Dam to Dam race are two I'd like to do. Probably not Bosham this year - we're going to be picky as we need to get the extension built before the planning permission runs out.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Something on Garda would be nice.

Maybe sail a Bermuda fitted dinghy in its natural habitat?

But next year, toying with the Firefly Nationals and South Westerns at Restronguet, if we feel up to a week of sea sailing.

A long (inland) river race would be fun, but are there any apart from for Broads boats?

I confess to being a bit bored with the standard race format. For me currently, either very short races (and lots of them) or an interesting long race appeal. For the former to work, a single class/level rating is better, as otherwise too much maths is needed and no time between races to do it, but the latter could work well as a handicap race, provided the boats aren't too far apart in speed. However, line honours would always be coverted. Lord Birkett must be the one to look at for that? Not line honours (or handicap) of course, but as an experience.
Rupert
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

How long a river race are you thinking about Rupert?

As club events we race on the Avon from Severn SC to Tewkesbury CSC and back twice each year - the round trip is just shy of ten miles I think, for one of the races we stop at Tewkesbury for a picnic for the other we do it non-stop. As I said they aren't opens but if any visitors asked to join in I'm sure we'd make them welcome.
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Going to Lake Garda, hopefully, for the Finn World Masters in 2016, so that ticks that one. Lord Birkett is a fantastic experience but we went last year and I don't know if I can go back. We had 4 days camping without a cloud in the sky and raced to the bottom of the lake and back in a good F4-5. Another year couldn't possibly be as good!
I don't know any long river races, I've done the Benfleet creek race, does that count? Nearest I suppose is the Pill race, although some years ago there used to be a race up the Dart to Dittisham that I fancied.
I suppose this is an age thing, we get fed up of racing round the buoys and want something more memorable.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Round Sheppey anyone. first w/e in September iirc
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

How about the Classic Dinghy Regatta it in Schull, West Cork? Have to wait until 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/classicdinghyregatta
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Those boats make most of our classics look rather modern...
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

azimuth wrote:How long a river race are you thinking about Rupert?

As club events we race on the Avon from Severn SC to Tewkesbury CSC and back twice each year - the round trip is just shy of ten miles I think, for one of the races we stop at Tewkesbury for a picnic for the other we do it non-stop. As I said they aren't opens but if any visitors asked to join in I'm sure we'd make them welcome.
Avon SC also do long distance races, it seems. I'll keep an eye open on both, thank you.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Re: 'Want to do' events - River events on Tamar

Post by Ed »

Locally we have the Cothele to Cawsand race, which is mainly river, with a short dash out of Plymouth Harbour.

Great fun, done it twice (once in a flat calm and once when it was howling), but would love to do it again.

Weir Quay do a Bridges race, from Weir Quay down to the Brunel Bridge and back again. Not done that - has always clashed with something else.

In the past, I have dabbled with the idea of running a long distance RAID type event for classic dinghies from Downstream (Saltash, WeirQuay, Cargreen or Tamar) and trying to catch the flood and get up to Morewhellam. Some bits would be easy, but others are practically windless so it would be a decent challenge. We could arrange camping in Calstock. It could possibly be done on a day that would coincide with a festival in Calstock, to get the extra fun. Safety boat cover would be a nightmare, but not impossible.....but couldn't offer the level of safety-support you would get from a RYA course on a lake. But it would be no worse than the Cothele to Cawsand race and they seem to manage that with a handful of boats, including 2-3 miles of open sea.

If there is lots of interest, I will take a look at the concept of doing this.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Am thinking about the rules already..... :-)

http://www.archipelagoraid.com/event/rules.php

It would be a great CVRDA type event.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed