'Want to do' events

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
JimC

Re: 'Want to do' events

Post by JimC »

SoggyBadger wrote:It's just common sense really. Choose a general purpose dinghy...
We are, after all the classic and vintage Racing Dinghy association. I'll happily cheer on those who enjoy cruising in sensible dual purpose cruising dinghies, but its not a game I personally wish to play. When one is talking about craft that are way beyond their intended design life, and often with seaworthiness compromised in favour of originality, budget, style and so on, then it is a slightly different game. Of course if one had a backup team of sensible souls in auxiliary outboard equipped cruising Wayfarers following the fleet to provide cover that would be pretty much as good as a couple of RIBs.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Talking about sensible souls...

Image1-DSC01145 by dralowid, on Flickr

MR 950, a genteel old river lady, out on Chichester Harbour on Saturday (remember the wind?). Quite whether this was a relaxing cruise is moot...
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Part of the 'homework' for my recent Coach Assessor course was to prepare a Passage Plan out of Cowes for a small group of cruising dinghies and a support RIB. This took me a full day to get to a satisfactory standard, including tides, weather, local hazards and escape routes, but it was actually fun to do and very interesting.

Part of the exercise was obviously to ensure we can train instructors to teach Day Sailing, but part of it was also to try and resurrect the dying practice of taking children cruising from many of the sailing centres around the country.

The demand for detailed Risk Assessments now means many schools and youth organisations no longer include this great experience in their typical activity week, and to my mind, and also that of the RYA, this is a great shame. With proper preparation, sensible precautions being taken, and careful adherence to common sense rules about safety there is no reason why cruising can't be as safe, if not often safer, than dinghy racing. For many, it's even more fun.

I would happily take part in a properly planned dinghy cruise with the cvrda, I might even be prepared to help with the planning. Er Indoors and I now have our own RIB too, so we can even bring a support boat.

"Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers,won't drown"
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nessa wrote:Part of the 'homework' for my recent Coach Assessor course was to prepare a Passage Plan out of Cowes for a small group of cruising dinghies and a support RIB. This took me a full day to get to a satisfactory standard, including tides, weather, local hazards and escape routes, but it was actually fun to do and very interesting....

...The demand for detailed Risk Assessments now means many schools and youth organisations no longer include this great experience in their typical activity week, and to my mind, and also that of the RYA, this is a great shame...

I would happily take part in a properly planned dinghy cruise with the cvrda, I might even be prepared to help with the planning. Er Indoors and I now have our own RIB too, so we can even bring a support boat.

"Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers,won't drown"
While I agree that exercises such as these as a means of teaching young sailors how to make their own risk assessments are an essential part of any sailing education (wether that be an official RYA course or a parent led exercise) it is the call of the wild that is motivating and stimulating many of the contributors to this thread and in many ways I suspect it is the absence of a rib or other support vessel that will be an essential part of the experience.

Sensible personal risk assessment yes, essential, and as a part of that, acceptance of the need to keep to ones limits.

Rescue boats, now downgraded by medicolegal necessity to safety, and even further "support" boats, may not have a place in this kind of exercise, and like any adventure/expedition, the pleasure of achievement often lies with the perceived and felt sense of having been entirely self reliant and responsible.

As soon as you have a support vessel there is a responsibility placed upon that vessel to be the safety net and conscience of the expedition.
Michael Brigg
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

well the support vessel can carry the sarnies BBq stuff and beer..............
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I was thinking that too - whether it be RIB or a Wayfarer with a seagull and coolbox in the locker, there are uses for a mothership.
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I would like to add that a previous owner to me has pierced the side decks for rowlocks and added a pad for an outboard motor to my National 12, Sparkle. The shame of it........Although it might turn out to be useful, if this goes ahead. Better dig out some oars and rowlocks

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Michael Brigg wrote: it is the call of the wild that is motivating and stimulating many of the contributors to this thread and in many ways I suspect it is the absence of a rib or other support vessel that will be an essential part of the experience.
For me the constant whine of an outboard would mar what should be a very tranquil stretch of river.
Michael Brigg wrote: Rescue boats, now downgraded by medicolegal necessity to safety, and even further "support" boats, may not have a place in this kind of exercise, and like any adventure/expedition, the pleasure of achievement often lies with the perceived and felt sense of having been entirely self reliant and responsible.
I feel it's worth point out that the upper reaches of the Tamar probably average a width of about 100 feet. So you're never more than a few boat lengths from dry land in an emergency.
Michael Brigg wrote: As soon as you have a support vessel there is a responsibility placed upon that vessel to be the safety net and conscience of the expedition.
Plus what do you do if the support vessel breaks down?
Best wishes

SB
JimC

Post by JimC »

SoggyBadger wrote: Plus what do you do if the support vessel breaks down?
Go hungry or try and find a pub that will feed muddy sailors...
Pat

Post by Pat »

JimC wrote:Plus what do you do if the support vessel breaks down?
Always plan to go so you can drift back with the river flow or tide.

The rules for the Ranelagh Tideway races on the tidal Thames include that every boat should carry an anchor and line and a paddle all tied on to avoid loss during a capsize. On somewhere like the Tamar this should be enough to bring you into the bank and tie up safely.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
STEVERESERVE

Post by STEVERESERVE »

Hi,
Some of us are already doing cruises, the UKHBBR Thames raid last June (Letchlade to Beale Park) included a 51 year old Mermaid and an even older GP14.
No rescue rib in sight either. Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUg8TRmN ... e=youtu.be
Steve
Mermaid 137 :evil: