Tormentor FD on the bay

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Obscured by clouds

Tormentor FD on the bay

Post by Obscured by clouds »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flying-Dutchm ... 3cee0cbd6b

for those who admired Julian's FD at Clywedog.............
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Julian

Re: Tormentor FD on the bay

Post by Julian »

Hiya all

A fine antique, would be either

1. tidy me up and enjoy blasting about, reasonably cheap and great fun, with a limited lifespan (boat not sailors!), or

2. bonfire virtually everything except the hull shell and start again, milking blood for years to pay off Robbins timber and Pinnell and Bax for what would be a very major project.

If anyone in CVRDA decides on either of these paths to righteousness, I would be very happy to advise and support them.

Do love the ?novex? auto-ratchets for the genoa, I can remember them stopping working as soon as they were bought to within a mile of a sandy beach, the tufnol mainsheet jammer, the moss garden feature by the self bailer, and especially what appear to be halyard winches at the mast foot - does anyone have the archaeological training to fully explain them - looks like a square ended handle might have been involved?

Tony Lyall, elder of our tribe, has extensive records regarding the class, and would possibly be able to provide some history.

cheers from the top of the hill in Wales

Julian

PS the only sensible place to wetsand the foils is in the bath, Caution! its not recommended to try this if someone is using the bath, at least not with the coarser grade of paper.

PPS Our cats all behaved extremely badly when we tried to galvanise them, and they have catboxes, not their own trailer.
chris

Post by chris »

Roger.........?
and he knows all obout the halyard winches and has a handle to fit :lol:
roger

Post by roger »

Having just inherited at least one more Planker Hornet I dont have room but have always loved the FD and its one of my one day boats.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JimC

Post by JimC »

Julian wrote:PS the only sensible place to wetsand the foils is in the bath,
Disagree. I prefer sitting on the end of the clubhouse jetty on a hot summer's day, with an ice cream container of warm soapy water beside me and the whole lake to rinse the foil off.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi The Shark has winches. Should the winch handles be lost an ordinary squared socketed door handle will work preferably one of the lever types. I have one I use as a spare.
Cheers Al
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I have one of these halyard winches (and the handle) on my IC (Torment K102)

I presume in the days before dyneema and the like, a wire halyard was regarded as the best way of getting a virtually inelastic halyard, and a winch / drum would be the only effective way to tension (and tidy up the loose tail of) a wire halyard.

I will get some detailed pics up for you.
Michael Brigg
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

They also make the job of hoisting a heavy fully battened mainsail up a 32ft mast relatively easy.
Cheers Al
roger

Post by roger »

Shoestring has these as well, the winch handle is a bit crucial, my father and I made a rather nice one. Crude but effective, A ratchet from a socket set fits as well if the original goes over board.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

The winch and handle ...

Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

With Fairey wooden masts, the winch is completely internal within the mast with the winch handle going through the wood side of the mast.

Some handles are like you show, but some of the Fairey ones were anodised aluminium.

Some had 1/2in square holes and others were smaller, maybe 3/8in.

Always found winches really easy to work with and gave easy adjustement on and off the water, but not with the obvious immediacy of a well set up cunningham.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it