Boat building acadamies/schools

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hawkins

Boat building acadamies/schools

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Hi all,

I am about to have some time on my hands as I am being made redundant in a month or two.

I am not retiring, but I thought I might take the time (and the money) to attend one of the courses, run by the various boat building schools that are available.

I am not heading for a career change and the redundancy package is limited, so I will just dipping my toe in the water. Some of these places offer courses for refurbishing old boats, or building your own boat, general woodworking, furniture making, etc, up to a full year out.

So has anyone done one of these courses? Or are you all 'self taught'.

Regards

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Re: Boat building acadamies/schools

Post by Rupert »

I spent 2 years at Falmouth college, and my tutor there, Dick Phillips, left to set up Lyme Regis Boat Building Academy. He is no longer there, but I've been very impressed with what I've seen of them at the Beale Park boat show.

http://www.boatbuildingacademy.com/
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Yes Rupert,

I spent a fruitful afternoon exploring that site yesterday.

I particularly like the possibility taking your own boat on an old boat repair course for a week. I could take Planet and replace a rib and scarf in a couple of new planks as well.

But first I need to strip her externally to see how she really is. Bless her.

Equally interesting one is another place on the east coast, where they do a 24 week course where you build your own boat, The first half of the course is a woodworking course, followed by 13 weeks of building a boat of your choice. £8,000
plus the boat though....Ouch. Too rich for me.

Do you do lessons Rupert?

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Steve,

I've met someone who did the course at Lyme Regis and have seen the result of their labour which is, to put it mildly, beautiful. Happy to put you in touch with her.

Best

Michael
(apparently Jack Chippendale used to come down to talk to the students...)
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not paid ones, Steve, but happy to lend a hand and advise if I can.
Rupert
keithr

Post by keithr »

My youngest went to Falmouth to do the course in the early 80'''s but too much techy stuff and not enough practical for him so he flunked ( now a stonemason).

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Stephen Hawkins

I was having an interesting chat with my twin brother this weekend on this very subject. I also happened to mention some stich and glue canoe kits on ebay (Stanley Small Craft), which my brother seem quite keen to have a go at this summer. The kit is supplied with laser cut parts, epoxy and tape, etc. And off you go.

Might be a useful exercise for the summer - being built in the back garden, under a gazebo. My daughter would love a canoe. And it might be a small step towards my ultimate goal of building a boat for myself.

Anyone know where I can get plans for a 1960's N12? starfish/squid/Proctor, etc.....Some years away from this I fear.

You gotta have a dream....

Cheers

Steve
Steve Hawkins

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If the 2 of you build the same canoes, then you have the reason to keep building - an element of friendly competition is always good. I'll be judge, if you like?!
Rupert