Mystery boat

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Rupert

Mystery boat

Post by Rupert »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-foot-fibre ... 25a102fd6b

Apart from being £300 over priced and not being a HoltAllen part number, any ideas what it is?
Rupert
JimC

Re: Mystery boat

Post by JimC »

I was wondering about one of the Gull variants, but don't think its quite right.
corkman

Post by corkman »

Possibly a Sailfish 12 ????
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Its possible, though the breakwater looks a little different - maybe... I got distracted by the picture in the sales brochure when I went to look it up...
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Otter?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Pat

Post by Pat »

Not an Otter. Having trawled all through my Shearwater pictures to find the ever present Otter, I have but one sideways shot. however the Dinghy Database shows it better
http://www.cvrda.org/coppermine/display ... play_media
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Oh dear, sorry to be a smart arse (Moi....sorry?,...ah well, it is Friday).

The boat is a Brigand Sailor 12...made down at Bridgewater and by the look of it, should have stayed there too!

Dougal
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Brigand Sailor 12...

Thank you David - gap in knowledge filled!

I don't think I'll be bidding, somehow, but I still have 1/2 an eye open for a boat that can do the job of a Mirror but fit 4 people while sailing.

I've wondered about cutting a Mirror dinghy in half and adding a couple of feet of length right in the middle, then adding a mizzen to keep the balance right! Anyone think that could be done?!
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Rupert, your suggestion sounds like you're going to produce one of those ugly inefficient designs the Americans love so much (although perhaps not quite as ugly)!
I'm reminded of a statement by Robert Clark when a client came to him and asked for a 50' ketch for ocean cruising. He asked if the owner had any small children and then said that on any vessel less than 60' you could let your children play with the mizzen because whatever they did with it it wouldn't make any difference to the boat whatsoever!

Your calling is clear, you're destined to be the bosun for the family fleet of classic Fireflies!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote: Anyone think that could be done?!
A reasonable answer might contain the verb could, but definitely not the verb should...
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert wrote:Brigand Sailor 12...

I've wondered about cutting a Mirror dinghy in half and adding a couple of feet of length right in the middle, then adding a mizzen to keep the balance right! Anyone think that could be done?!
Is this not what they did to Fortuna Extra lights, (Lawrie Smiths extreme yacht from the Whitbread.)

The 1985 vintage boat Fortuna, was extended up to 82 feet and an enormous unstayed carbon mizen, heavily raked, was stuck into the stern, I think as tall as or taller than the main mast. As much as anything little more than an advertising vehicle for Lawries favourite occupation. (Think Silk Cut, and Rothmans, his later entries to the race)

The whole thing fell down a few miles down the road of Spain shortly after the start. I think the idea was to capitalise on un handicapped sal area in the doldrums, and light airs legs, and fingers crossed in the Southern Ocean.

She did alright in the end and is now a luxury Charter boat, so it looks like the idea has promise Rupert!

Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

Lets think... radical cruising family boat.

Start with a Flying Dutchman hull and shell it out. Block up the centreboard case and give a lowish false floor with some kind of sump arrangement so it stays dry.
2 Byte CII rigs or of that ilk, short boom, fully battened, free standing. One goes right up at the bows, the other goes as close to the stern as possible.
Daggerboard also well up in the bows, rudder to be a two piece affair, the front half is fixed, doesn't turn, the back half does all the steering. The whole assembly slots over the transom with some kind of kick up arrangement so its readily removable. Lateral resistance shared between daggerboard and skeg/rudder.
The two rigs ought to be far apart enough not to interfere too much.
roger

Post by roger »

My dad did it to the SRN4 in 1981( with a little help) :lol:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Seaspeed.html
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Anything is possible Rupert.........and it would certainly attract some attention.......does sound a bit Arfur Daley though....the sort of stretched cut'n'shut that might turn up on his forecourt.... I can just hear his sales pitch now :lol:

Would have to be cut just aft of the plate box I think.......but how would it go back together and be strong? Would need some serious thought I reckon!
Sami.
trebor

Post by trebor »

did your original enquiry state car toppable ?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk