Planet and Hastings find a new home....

General chat about boats
Stephen Hawkins

Planet and Hastings find a new home....

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Boat swap alert.

Planet (N12 672) has found a new home in Chichester and Hastings (Firefly 1066) has also found a new home at Whitefriars SC.

As the last custodian of Planet, I am relieved to have found someone who has the wherewithal and the enthusiasm to give her the thorough the going over that she needs this winter.

As part of the deal I have taken on Hastings, who will berth next to Sparkle (N12) at the club for the 'foreseeable'.

I will use Hasting for single handing in light conditions, i.e. when my daughter has better things to do than sail with her dad.

Launching tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Pat

Re: Planet and Hastings find a new home....

Post by Pat »

Perhaps we'll see a battle with Firefly 1066 and Merlin Rocket 1066 sailing together!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That would be a great photo opportunity.

Looking forward to seeing her out, Steve. Great boats for the lake.
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

She is now up the club, but I have not managed to sail her yet. Let's hope the weather improves enough to give her a go soon. I'd rather sail her in more benign conditions first time out. I will probably mostly single handing her.

On the hunt for a second self bailer and the odd tufnol pulley. She will be kept original and fully returned that way, rather than modernised. It will be easier, I suspect.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Hawkins

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

On the left Hastings F1066 which Steve now has, on the right Vootie F2768 which will go down to the water next week. I no longer proudly have the oldest boat in the dinghy park...

ImageDSC01397 by dralowid, on Flickr

Both boats MK I and still have Reynolds masts which are heading towards 'end of life'. I wonder if one can still find them? Is the Albacore one the same profile or is it bigger? There's a Swordfish at CYC with a Reynolds that looks very 'thin' for the size of boat, I'm sure he wouldn't miss it!

When I've sharpened my scraper I'll start a thread about N12 Planet, in the meantime I'd better work out how to change my signature

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Albacore masts tend to be much larger and heavier so unlikely to be the same!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Could be worth finding on old gold rotating Proctor mast and saving the Reynolds for highdays and holidays. Mr Brigg may know where to find them, though!
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Sailed Hastings today with Katy crewing. I was very impressed. Even had her planing, briefly.

Only leaked from the drain holes in the transom which currently have sherry corks in them.

Otherwise very solid.

Might have to do something with the feeble kicker, but nothing too drastic.

The amusing raked paddle spoon rudder was amusing as well.

A couple of small adjustments for personal taste and we are away.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Hawkins

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Steve,

Good news! I must say I found her a great sail. No leaks? Maybe the water I collected came in through the carry handle holes or summat.

I wouldn't do too much with the kicker or you'll risk the mast...

Sorry the sherry corks are no longer performing, maybe it is because the plastic Harvey's Bristol Creme tops have come off. They came with the boat when I got her, we don't drink that much sherry!

Now, a question to the Firefly experts with Reynolds masts...how do you get the mainsail to run smoothly up (and down) over the join between the alloy mast and the wooden top section? Hastings behaves impeccably in this respect but Vootie does not!
Tideway 206
11+
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The mast... Pull harder... or check the joint and add sandpaper!
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

New rubber bungs, a 2nd attempt at a new kicker - after failure of the first attempt, back to old main sheet blocks as supplied, and a new boom. It's what you get for using really old bits - they are often worn out - a jammer has got to be able to hold onto the rope and sheaves have to be able to rotate smoothly. Lesson learned.

Okay so the boom is a Proctor item, but it is silver, and old (ish), recycled from the boat park at the cost of £10 to the club funds - probably half the age of the rest of the boat though.

She is snug, with Katy and I on board, but no more snug that Planet was, obviously. And she is light and easy to handle round the boat park.

After having neglected the N12 for a couple of weeks, we also jumped back into Sparkle.....So much more roomier and easier with the two of us. However, a little more powerful and feisty when the wind is blowing. She is still my favourite.

Having said that, I now have a choice, when the weather is light and I am on my own.

Cheers
Steve Hawkins

Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Steve,

The mainsheet blocks as supplied were originally yours anyway! They come from Desperation who now has a very second hand but effective Harken ratchet.

Vootie has been out on the water for the first time in over 20 years...apparently. All fine but you have the better sails and a straighter mast. Her wooden top section is like a snooker cue from a Norman Wisdom film (was it him????) . This may give me an advantage on one tack but damned if I know which. That thick weed that now infests the harbour is quite useful, you can charge onto the shingle in front of the pub at Dell Quay and come to a soft, squidgy halt. Two adults within a few stone of each other. A bit cramped but easy to balance.

I have tracked down one of those Firefly reefing things, the hook and the pole whatsit. Will be picking it up soon, might come in handy singlehanded.

Best

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Stephen Hawkins

Don't for a minute think I am not happy.

It's just that I tried to change a few of things, then put a lot of it back how you had it when I picked it up.

The sail are good,as you say, and I will wait a while till I find a decent tufnol block with a Becket that actually has some life in it! Before I try again. :wink:

Steve
Steve Hawkins

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I may have something in the way of tufnol blocks you can use, Steve. I'll have a look and report back anon.
Rupert