Buying advice, please....

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Rupert

Re: Buying advice, please....

Post by Rupert »

I like the idea of unique boats like this one, even if the design at the time failed to catch on. Not always about speed problem, that, and even if it was, there are other reasons for wanting a classic boat.

Epoxy is a wonderful glue, once everything has dried out, so mending the crack won't be too hard, I expect. Carving a new gunwale might be more time consuming, but maybe more satisfying.
Rupert
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Haha.. Thanks Rupert.. that's all I need.. encouragement!

Sarcasm intended!
Matt

Int Moth K2992
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'll always encourage other people to buy boats. Means one less I might end up with!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Mikey wrote:Only 2 boats built to this design - says it all.
I dunno Mikey. You can never tell what makes people enthusiastic about one design or another. Two of what I consider to be the best Cherub designs of my era in the class only ever had a single boat built. Fair enough a popular design is likely to be a good one, but I wouldn't say the reverse is true.
hall_g

Post by hall_g »

There is a free N12 which has just been posted on the N12 Association website. It's in Oban in Scotland, but might be worth considering instead if you can make the trip into a mini-break!

Here's the link:

http://www.national12.org/for_sale.shtml
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

hall_g wrote:There is a free N12 which has just been posted on the N12 Association website.
Thanks for that.. have contacted the owner... Would be a lovely boat for me to own, as built by my mother's uncle!
Matt

Int Moth K2992
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

This is a very different animal that the boat you were looking at earlier. I.e. it is a nailed clinker design, not a 'four planker'.

You might be surprised at how different the two boats are.

It does not look dissimilar to Planet 672, in design, another Holt boat.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Lots of 4-plank Dolls built and many Paper Darts are still about, Ed Willett has just completed a restoration of a Dart (N2679).
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

N12 3214 is for sale on the Facebook Dinghies and Dinghy Bits for Sale Group..

1984 built.. and in beautiful condition.. £300.. but no trailer :-(

Decisions, decisions.... But none makeable until my bloody motorbike sells on ebay....

Matt
Matt

Int Moth K2992
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If you are considering buying a 12, or for that matter any restricted class dinghy, it is important to bear in mind where you will sail the boat and for example, all up crew weight. Gyphon is another "one-off", admittedly designed by Michael Jackson, a very successful 12 designer. Many of these "one-offs" were designed and built to suit specific conditions or quirks of the original purchaser - optimised for heavy or light weather performance, heavy/light crew weights, even specific venues. You could end up with a perfectly good 12 but completely unsuited to you and where you sail the boat and end up fed up with the boats poor performance. My advice would be to go to a club where 12's are sailed, talk to the sailors who will be delighted to give you advice and let you experience sailing in a 12. The N12 is a great dinghy, I have owned and sailed a number of them over the years but it is important you go for the right one.